Birth control + Antibiotics?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Hakunamatata15
not a newbie

Birth control + Antibiotics?

Unread post by Hakunamatata15 »

Hi, I have been on Larin birth control pill for about 4 months now and just yesterday started taking clindamyclin antibiotics (300 mg) for a strep infection. I read that there are no drug interactions between the two but can any antibiotics really decease the effects of birth control? I wasn't able to check with my doctor because my mom picked up the meds for me (I'm 17). For the record, I would never go without condoms as backup but I want to be as safe as possible so would it be putting me at a higher risk to have intercourse while I'm on the antibiotic? If so, when would it be safe again?
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth control + Antibiotics?

Unread post by Johanna »

Can you call your pharmacist or prescribing doctor to double-check? They are really the best source of information in situations like these.

Should the antibiotic affect the birth control, you'll want to double-up with condoms until you start the next new pack. It may also help you to know that no antibiotic fully wipes out the protection of birth control. It just may decrease the effectivenss a little.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic