emergency contraception query

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Pumpkin99
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: smiles
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

emergency contraception query

Unread post by Pumpkin99 »

Hi

I hoping you can help me and put my mind at rest. On 29th November I had unprotected sex. My period had just finished, it was day 6 or 7 of my cycle. Approx 14 hours later I took a levonelle one step emergency contraception. This was the 30th Nov and on the following Friday I bleed like a period for 4 days which I know can be withdrawal bleeding. I didn't get my period until the 6th January which would have been 11 days late following my usual cycle and one day late if that bleeding had created a new cycle. My period can range from 25 to 34 days. When my period came on the 6th Jan it was three days and not the usual 6 and the third day was just spotting. I took a pregnancy test which was negative. I came on again on the 5th February and again it was only two days. I have taken a few tests and they are all negative but I cant shake the feeling that I still could be pregnant, I feel like I have some symptoms but don't know if I am imagining them. Before each period I have the odd brown spotting for a day five days before. Do you think we three episodes of bleeding I could still be pregnant? im nervous because the periods were so much shorter than usual.

Thank you.

ps - just another point - the sex was withdrawal
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: emergency contraception query

Unread post by Johanna »

Welcome to Scarleteen, Pumpkin. EC can affect the menstrual cycle for a few months, so your periods still looking a bit unusual may well be due to that. It would be extremely unlikely for you to have bleeding that is no your period, yet continues to show up when you are due for your period :) Plus, you've had several negative pregnancy tests. So, it does not sound to me like you have anything to worry about.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Pumpkin99
not a newbie

Thank you. Just one quick question - when I did one of the pregnancy tests it was digtal and came up with not pregnant but when I ejected the cartridge there were two lines - is that normal?
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Johanna »

There are so many different types of tests out there that we can't really talk about specific ones. If you have a question about how a test works, it's best to call the manufacturer of that test.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Pumpkin99
not a newbie

Ok, thanks. There's no number on there to call but I did a normal one the day after and it was negative.
Is there such a thing as decidual bleeding?
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Ashleah »

Hi pumkin99,

Johanna already explained that if you are having a period and the results of you pregnancy test are negative then you are not pregnant.

Check out this article: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodie ... nk_you_are

A lot of times people have this sort of scares because they are not comfortable with the sexual activity for some reason. Perhaps the sex being unprotected or maybe not being comfortable with the level of sexual activity. Are you interested in changing the level you are currently at? We can talk to you more about that if you like :)
Pumpkin99
not a newbie

Thank you. No, im fine, I just really really dont want to be pregnant and I have scared myself by reading all these rare possibilities of people having periods whilst pregnant or being pregnant but still having negatives tests!
Pumpkin99
not a newbie

I really appreciate having someone to talk it through with, its not easy explaining your fears to a doctor
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Ashleah »

Focusing on rare and impossible occurrences will definitely heighten your anxiety! If pregnancy is something that you fear it can helpful to instead focus on what things you can do to prevent pregnancy. That might mean engaging in activities that do not pose risk and using condoms and/or other forms of birth control. The main site has lot of great information for you to take advantage of. Let me know if you need me to point you in the right direction.

It can be awkward telling your doctors about your fears but in they can point you in the right direction for additional services. It might be helpful to talk to a counselor or another mental health provider. One way you can explain it to your doctor is just by saying, "even though I am having my period and getting negative results I still fear that I might be pregnant."
Pumpkin99
not a newbie

Thanks so much for your help.
Pumpkin99
not a newbie

Hi

I know you answered my query and I appreciate your help.
Can I just check something else though please....
With regards to the bleeding - how many cycles would you say the EC would affect?
I have searched all over the internet and the only references they make is in regards to the period immediately after.
I still feel I am getting pregnancy symptoms and have had weight gain and developed blue veins.
Can you explain about the short period being a symptom of pregnancy - does that only refer to one period but not if you have two short periods?
Im sorry for asking but i havent anyone else to ask.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

We really can't predict that. I would say that on average, when it does impact cycles for those who use it, you are usually looking at no more than three.

If you feel you are having shmptoms of pregnancy, that means you would already be pregnant. And that means you could take a pregnancy test, because a person cannot have pregnancy sumptoms before they are actually pregnant. So, if you have those concerns, we ask you take a pregnancy test. Talking about what-ifs like this just is not sound.

And if you have tested, but do nit believe those tests, then as we make clear in our content about steps with this sort of thing, your next one is to see a healthcare provider.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Pumpkin99
not a newbie

Thanks Heather.
I have been to my doctor and she did a pregnancy test and it was negative.
she did it in the middle of the day and my urine looked so diluted that I didn't believe it but I know I need to drop this.
I must be looking for symptoms and driving myself mad. I am focusing on the stories on the internet when ladies say they didn't get a positive home test until they were five months etc.
This is a great site and you have helped out my mind at ease.

Thanks for your support.
Pumpkin99
not a newbie

She even prescribed me the pill so I am going to start taking that now, I didn't feel safe before but I need to.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

So, it sounds like your next step, then, if you keep feeling this way despite it being very clear you are not pregnant, is to talk to your healthcare provider about mental healthcare for this anxiety.

In the meantime, you can help yourself by choosing what you read more carefully. If you don't go to places where content is not fact-checked and full of stories like that, you can't get triggered by them. If you can't stop yourself from doing so, you might find it helpful to go into your browser preferences and literally just block those sites so you cannot go to them.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Pumpkin99
not a newbie

Thank you for your help.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

You're welcome! :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic