Herbal Pills and Menstrual Cycles

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
SaraC
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I have a big heart
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Herbal Pills and Menstrual Cycles

Unread post by SaraC »

Hi! So I suffer from severe PMS and my mom decided that I first try some herbal medicine before I go on birth control to lighten my periods and lessens my severe mood swings. I started taking one pill of 5 HTP before bed Monday night when my period began. Today would be the fourth day of my cycle and there is not even spotting. The past 3 days my period has been lighter. The first day was heavy as usual and the next two days were lighter than normal. Today it seemed to have ended which is weird because I usually have my period for at least 6 days and heavy. Is it possible that the 5 HTP pill has affected my flow? Thanks !:)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Herbal Pills and Menstrual Cycles

Unread post by Heather »

That is not very likely, no, particularly given the timing (what level of flow you have is mostly determined before periods begin) and the fact that 5-HTP and serotonin can help with mood issues with periods, but are not likely to have any impact on your cycles otherwise. What is more likely is that you are just experiencing a variation when it comes to your flow, which certainly tends to happen from time to time.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
SaraC
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I have a big heart
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Re: Herbal Pills and Menstrual Cycles

Unread post by SaraC »

Ok thanks!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic