PCOS/PCOD

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Hypochondriac17
not a newbie

PCOS/PCOD

Unread post by Hypochondriac17 »

Are there any ways to ensure that you do not get PCOD/PCOS?

I know that it completely depends on biological control, but what are some lifestyle measures one can take so as to maintain regular and healthy cycles?

I'm healthy, not overweight, but my BMI is dangerously close to 25 now. I've always been on the healthier side and had a BMI greater than 23.8 even before my cycles started, around 5 years ago. So, the fact that even with my weight I have been getting regular, clock-perfect cycles is a mystery to me, since I know people who have a perfect weight and still have PCOS. But everyone around me keeps telling me that if I dont lose weight fast, it's only a matter of months before my cycles get irregular. So, is weight the only factor or a major factor which determines your likeliness to get PCOS/PCOD? And if one wants to continue getting regular cycles, are there any lifestyle changes that can be put into practice?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: PCOS/PCOD

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi hypochondriac,

Those questions are really best directed at a healthcare provider. And in all honesty, exercise and weight loss (if you suddenly start doing it to extremes) can actually cause periods to become irregular. This article actually covers things that might cause periods to become irregular:
M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

Also, as an aside, weight is not the factor that determines if someone has PCOS (I was diagnosed as a teen, and am what most people would call "tiny"). So, I might disregard the people who keep trying to tell you to lose weight in order to prevent period irregularity (since their science may not be sound and also because it's ultimately none of their business)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic