Help needed please

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
FT
not a newbie

Help needed please

Unread post by FT »

so last Saturday I engaged in sex with my bf (using a condom) I check to see if it had split after and it was fine.

the following thursday when I peed it was like wierdup online and hurt after it hurt, since then I have been habing the urge to be but then theres not a lot there. i read up online about uti infection? said drink loads of water so I habe been althiugh the pains calmed down I still have the pee urges and feel still a little discomfort? is this a sign of uti? does it seems like its going? do I have to go to the docotrs?

i havent told anyone and feel uncomfortable talking to parents about it case they jump to sex and although I know theres different reasons I feel like thats the conclusion they will come to please help

thanks
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: Help needed please

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello there, FT. Welcome to Scarleteen! :)

If you are having pain and discomfort while urinating the best thing to do is to check in with your healthcare provider in person just to make sure you are doing okay. This is one thing that can't be diagnosed online as we are not doctors -- and even if we were, it still would be impossible to do.

UTI's are not only related to sex, you know? There's a lot of reasons why someone can have one. From diet to even the kind of clothes we use.

And also, I'm not sure how it works in the UK (although I can try to find out) but there must be clinics where you can go without your parents knowing, if that's what you want. So just let us know if you want/need assistance finding a place and we'll try our best to help you, okay?
FT
not a newbie

Unread post by FT »

Thankyou - I think I can go there alone I have done before I jusy get anxious case my mum finds out :)

if this goes away in a few days - can I be sure im ok? I am going to try get a doctor's appointment but my doctors sometimes never have appointments and are not open till monday. and as I said the irritation is starting to go on its own so I was wondering if all of that stops would I be fine not going to the doctors?

thank you so much for the reply btw much appreciated :)

also one last question I know u cant be 100% certain but if the condom was used properly and I checked for holes afterwards by putting water into the condom the was no damage. I can be pretty certain the condom has does it job correct? :)
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

Going or not to the doctor is going to be up to you and how comfortable you are. Just keep in mind that once we are sexually active, regular doctor appointments is something we need to do. Be that for STI's testing, or in case we have to deal with something else.

And yes, if the condom didn't slip or broke you can trust it did its work. But you don't have to put water into it to test it. Condoms are made to deal with just some quantity of liquid and filling them with water can make them break even if they DID work holding the sperm. When a condom breaks is going to be very visible, like when a balloon pops. Is not something that is going to go unnoticed.:)
FT
not a newbie

Unread post by FT »

Hi sorry, I hope you don't mind me asking - ive booked an appointment at my doctors to get tested for uti ( as i still feel I have a few symptoms ) what actually happens in an uti testing? ive never done this before and am feeling anxious? also do you know if I get results there and then or do I need to wait?

thank you
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

Usually, diagnosing a UTI is done by getting a urine sample and doing a dip test - using a special strip of paper that changes colour in a certain way when there's an infection. It's very quick, just a few minutes. Sometimes a sample will then be sent off to a lab to determine the specific type of bacteria causing the infection (in case a different type of antibiotic is needed) but if you do have a UTI you should be able to start treatment right away.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
FT
not a newbie

Unread post by FT »

Thank-you for such a fast reply - made me a lot less nervous

thank you again! :)
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

You're very welcome. :)
FT
not a newbie

Unread post by FT »

I come back from my doctors appointment - he asked me questions about my symptoms but did no uti test is that normal? hes prescribed me with trimethoprim 6 tabets ( have to take to daily ) for three days it work out. so will habe to start the course of them tomorrow

is it usual for doctors to give these antibiotics without actually testing for a uti?
also im not sure if you will not this but is this the usual treatment for uti infections like the dosage? its 200g and have to take to daily for three days

just a question also do u or have you known anyone who has taken this medicine and it has done the job - done some reading online (not sure if realiable sources) but said they didnt work.

thank you
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Well, sometimes questions alone can let a doctor know what they're dealing with and what to prescribe. And the class of antibiotics for UTIs are so gentle and harmless that yes, they tend to be prescribed in a more relaxed way than other medications. Plus, if someone has a UTI, healthcare providers will want to help them whack it out ASAP so it doesn't move to your kidneys, where we can then deal with serious health impacts.

Like any medication, there isn't always success, and sometimes after using it if a UTI is still present, that means something stronger or different is needed. So, again, like any other mediation, you're never going to see reports that one thing worked for everyone with everything. Medicine just doesn't work that universally because people, and their illnesses -- even when they are the same kind -- are too different.

Just know, the biggest mistake people usually make with any kind of antibiotic, which is most often why they don't work, is not taking the full course, and instead stopping once they feel better. Chances are that's some of what happened with those folks you were reading about. So, you just want to take the medicine as directed, until it is all finished. And if, at the end of it, you are still having issues, you want to call into the doctor who you just saw so they can follow up with you and try something else, or give you an exam, if this doesn't seem to have been the ticket.

If you'd like some sound, credible information on the particular medication you were prescribed, here's a good place to start: http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-4083- ... al/details
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
FT
not a newbie

Unread post by FT »

im guessing my uti is an uncomplicated' one since the only symptoms I have are needing to pee often (normally when standing) ive also noticed that I pee alot ive seen some people can only pass little urine. also my pain is no where as bad as it was.

as hes given me this medication on what ive told him - would he have know the right dosage to give me depending on the symptoms ive gave? others online have seen to have a longer dosage leading on to 7days - is that because the severity of theres may have been worse?

i also read that different bacteria in urine needs different treatment? so would he may be able to tell from the symptoms the one im most likely to have?

also as im starting the dosage tomorrow ( as today would not have worked due to the 12hour intervals) when will I see an improvement? does this sort of medication stop the urge to urine frequently ?

does this type of medicate work in majority of uti cases?

sorry about all the questions; was so nervous about my appointment - and just wanted to get treated I forgot to ask some questions.

I guess im really anxious it wont go im a worried type of person.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

The dosage for your run-of-the-mill UTI is very standard. This particular antibiotic -- and most of those used for STIs -- are antibiotics particularly meant to wipe out bad bacteria in the body of a lot of different kinds. They are really uncomplicated. And again, this is the standard kind of medication used for UTIS: it wouldn't be if it was not generally effective.

(I don't know where you are reading first-person accounts around this, but it sounds like rather than helping you, it's just getting you more worried, so I'd advise you stick to fact-checked sources from here on out that contain information based on broad study, not one patient's experience.)

How long it takes for you to start feeling better isn't something we can predict, save to say that by the end of this round of the medication, chances are good you'll be feeling just fine again. It may take shorter than that, but it may not, and we just can't say how it will go.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
FT
not a newbie

Unread post by FT »

thank- you heather I agree :)

may I please ask one last question?

ive been drinking loads of water as told ive woke up this morning and felt fine ( no urge to go pee during the night either like I have been before)

I didnt start taking my medication yesterday due to the timing intervals it wouldn't have worked so am meant to start this morning.

although I feel better I still took my first antibiotic and will carry on till I complete the full course? was this the correct thing to do even tho I feel like my symptoms had gone?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

You always want to take the full course of any medication once you've started, even if you start feeling better. Symptoms can go away without the infection being fully gone, and if you stop taking the antibiotics early the infection may come back.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic