Page 1 of 1

Missing or late periods? It might be something besides pregnancy.

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2026 8:51 am
by Heather
I just wanted to poke my nose in here to mention that in 2026, a missing or late period is just as likely to be from something besides pregnancy than it is about pregnancy. Stress is and has always been something known to impact fertility and menstrual cycles, and most people are under an awful lot of it right now.

For instance, there is emerging science and query about the impact of climate change on periods, like mentioned in this report here. Climate change, and things happening because of it, like wildfires and high temperatures, create stress, even when we're not directly effected by those things. The fear and worry climate change and its related effects cause is no small thing.

Same goes for things like worries about a future when so many younger people are struggling to find work, or to be able to leave homes, including those in very stressful home environments. If you live somewhere where abortion access is being more and more limited, that's obviously something very stressful for people who could become pregnant but don't want to be.

We obviously can't stop any of these things from happening or causing stress, but if you want to talk about any of this, including some ways you can reduce stress or reduce worries if and when your cycles are wonky, we're here for it. <3

Re: Missing or late periods? It might be something besides pregnancy.

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2026 11:31 pm
by aliengirl
I’ve been pretty stressed for a couple weeks (a combination of work and the starting of the new school year), so this was comforting to read. It’s been hot as hell in the midwest and it’s quite likely a contributing factor to my jank cycle. I think I won’t have my period for the month August. Surely, my girlfriend didn’t get me pregnant. I miss her so much though. We barely get to see each other, or talk to each other now that we’re so busy.

I did experience some horrible phantom cramps though… I thought I was on my period but I was just cramping, no blood. Really weird. I’ve never had that before.

Re: Missing or late periods? It might be something besides pregnancy.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2026 6:25 am
by amber
Hi aliengirl!

I'm glad Heather's words were helpful, I know they are certainly helpful for me. I hope that things quiet down for you a bit as the stress of a new school year slows down. Hopefully you can also find some time to see your girlfriend as well!

That cramping could very well also be from stress. Just like your shoulders, back or neck muscles may be tense when stressed, the same thing can happen to all the muscles in our body.

Was there anything here you wanted to chat more about?