Withdrawal bleeding and pre-existent sexual risks

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Kim_2704
not a newbie
Primary language: Spanish/English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Withdrawal bleeding and pre-existent sexual risks

Unread post by Kim_2704 »

Hello :), I have a doubt about up to what extent a "withdrawal bleed" should be considered "as a period". I read a post here from a girl who wasn't on the pill, who asked if the period she got 3 days after intercourse meant she wouldn't become pregnant from that risk on the next cycle, which a staff member answered positively. Would that be the same for someone who is on the pill? Like, having sex on the first placebo pill and get the withdrawal bleed two/three days later would mean she most likely won't become pregnant from that last activity? I know that taking the pill properly is what counts, but I wonder if while on the pill, a sexual activity close (but before) the withdrawal bleeding should be taken into consideration as an still-existent risk on the next pill pack. I don't know if I made myself clear, but I plan to keep using the pill in the future and these are things that I don't quite understand and really need to. Thank youu
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Withdrawal bleeding and pre-existent sexual risks

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Kim,

As to the timing part of the question, our answer to you would be the same as the answer to the other person in the thread you read. But, if you're on the pill and taking it correctly, than you can consider yourself very, very, very protected against pregnancy in the first place.
Kim_2704
not a newbie
Primary language: Spanish/English
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Unread post by Kim_2704 »

Ok, so in case there´s a mishap on the first week of active pills from the next pack (missing one or taking it late), there would be no increased pregnancy risk from the pre-withdrawal bleed sex of the past cycle, but from the activities that only happen on the new one, is that correct?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Yep, you got it. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic