Is my discharge normal?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
C_withers
not a newbie

Is my discharge normal?

Unread post by C_withers »

Hi, I'm a new member.
So I came home from school, went to the bathroom and noticed in my underwear that there was a lot of white discharge. It was thick, white, and creamy. But about 2 inches above where that large discharge area was at, there was a yellow spot all dried up.
And then, when I went to wipe there was A LOT of discharge on the toilet paper.. Is this normal? I should be starting my period anywhere on or between this Sunday or Wednesday. Aren't you supposed to be "dry" before your period?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Is my discharge normal?

Unread post by Heather »

Welcome! :)

Can I ask if before this, you have ever done any charting or observation of your discharges?

When the term "dry" is used to describe cervical mucus -- and that's only part of discharges, not all of them -- during this time of the cycle, what that really means is thick and pasty, rather than fluid and thin.

Are you current with your sexual and reproductive healthcare? If not, if this discharge seems particularly odd based on what you are used to (if you have been observing over time, not just very recently), then you will want to get current, and just make sure this isn't some kind of imbalance or infection that needs treatment. But discharge like this is NOT usually associated with infection.

To find out more about discharges, and when to seek out care or not, check out: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
C_withers
not a newbie

Well what I meant by dry is like, when no discharge comes out.
& no I don't go to anyone to get checkups "down there"... Only because I'm not sexually active. Should I talk to my mom about going to one?
And I only question because a few weeks ago my boyfriend and I were doing sexual things with eachother but he says he never came any of the times we messed around. And there was no direct genital contact, but I'm scared that if I or he had pre cum on our fingers if some would have gotten into me?
I know that's not what I first asked/what this topic was about but it's just that I heard that an increase of discharge is a sign of pregnancy. But I didnt know if it was a normal thing as well with ovulation or PMS or something! I hope its ok to ask another question on the same post.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Well, you're saying that you are, in fact, sexually active, no? That you are being sexual with a partner where your genitals or theirs are involved? If so, then yep, you are sexually active, so it's time to start that kind of healthcare.

Here's the thing about "symptoms" of pregnancy: only pregnant people have them. And pregnant people test positive on pregnancy tests, becuase they are oregnant. Go figure. :P

So, if you are concerned you are pregnant, despite not engaging in any activities that pose real risks, then your next step is to take a pregnancy test. That's the only sound way to get answers about if we are or are not pregnant.

"Symptoms" aren't sound because on the whole, there isn't anything that occurs with pregnant people, especially early on, that can't happen and doesn't often happen for other reasons.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
C_withers
not a newbie

Nono, our genitals were not involved. I have never had sex. We've only done sexual things. Like: mutual masturbation & dry humping.
I just wanna be clear with my knowledge that you cannot become pregnant without having direct genital-to-genital contact.
It was only the pre cum on hands that I was worried about and I just got confused with some of the websites answers.
Sorry if I confused you.
C_withers
not a newbie

I read your last response wrong. My apologies.
But I still would like to be clear about the question I had in my most recent reply (the one before this one)
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Sexual activities with a partner are ways of having sex. Intercourse is one way do be sexual with a partner, but as you know, so is mutual masturbation or manual sex.

Again, I hear you being worried about a possible pregnancy. So, as we make clear in all our materials around this, your next step then, is to take a pregnancy test. That's the way to get the answer you want and need, whereas deconstructing past sexual activity into fragments doesn't do that. It only keeps you stuck and still without that answer.

What's more productive is to talk about your choices moving forward, and sorting out what you DO feel comfortable doing (and don't), and to talk about how to go with that from here. And again, if you want the answer to "Am I pregnant right now?" the only sound, accurate way to get that is to take a test. Do you know where to get one to do yourself at home, or to get one done by a healthcare provider?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic