Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Fender909
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My passion for music.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: None preferred
Sexual identity: Pansexual

Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

Unread post by Fender909 »

I've had three periods since the activity I was scared about happened and two negative pregnancy tests. So deep down, I know I'm not pregnant. But it's sort of an anxiety thing now. I've formed a bad habit of pressing on my stomach because of it. I know it wouldn't be good to go in circles about irrational fears with you guys, but I have a question.

So for around a week before my last period on February 9th, I kept feeling flutters and swooshes in my abdomen. It worried me a lot, but I tried to ignore what my mind was telling me and pass it off as gas since I had just gotten my negative blood test results back. Once I got my period I felt a lot better until around two weeks ago. The fluttering and weird movement sensations came back and I keep noticing them. I haven't stopped pressing on my stomach. I don't think my stomach is any bigger, but it looks bigger because I just started birth control and it might just be bloating. My abdomen feels really dense when I press on it while laying down. My anxiety and stress has been bad the last week. It was much better for a while. But since these sensations inside my belly I feel horrible mentally.

My last doctors visit was February 27th and my PCP thinks I may have an obsessive disorder. I would probably agree.

Tonight I'm going to take my last active pill of my first birth control pack. I should expect my period sometime while I'm on the placebo pills right?

I just don't know what all these feelings in my belly could be. I break out into a cold sweat whenever I get them. I cried for no reason in particular for the first time in a while last night. If I were pregnant, it would be almost five months by now, so it would be pretty noticeable to me and people around.

Could it be irritable bowel syndrome or something? My bowel movements have also been green for the same amount of time I've been noticing these feelings recently. I don't know if those things correlate.

Thanks guys.
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Re: Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

Unread post by Amanda »

Hi there,

So sorry about the tummy troubles. It sounds like you've got a good handle on your pregnancy worries, although I would certainly consider asking your PCP for a referral to someone who can help you work through your anxiety if that's available to you. You can even check out Scarleteen's Help Near You feature (linked at the top of the page) to locate counselling and support services. Let me know if you need help using it!

You probably already know that the staff and volunteers at Scarleteen are not qualified to give medical advice. Although I can speak from experience that stress and anxiety can produce the kind of fluttering sensations that you're describing. Stress and anxiety in general can really impact your bowels, as well as other parts of your body. Sometimes stress manifests physically before we even register it mentally and emotionally. We humans are complex systems and everything is interconnected! If the fluttering is also accompanied by other more serious GI symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, etc. that don't resolve in a couple of days like a common stomach flu, touching base with your PCP or other health care provider would be a really good idea.

With regard to starting your placebo pills, yes you can expect to get your period during that week of pills. Although as you may already know, many uterus-owners have lighter periods when they take birth control pills, so if that's the case for you don't it let it throw you off!

Best of luck!
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
Fender909
not a newbie

Thanks, Amanda.
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Unread post by Amanda »

You're welcome!
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
Fender909
not a newbie

I started my period on March 10th. Since then, I've still been having the strange kicking/twitching sensation.

Tonight it's really intense. I'm having bad anxiety about it and I just want it to stop. It really feels like something kicking hard from right under my belly button and my belly looks kind of bloated.

I saw my therapist yesterday, which was really nice. I talked to her about this and she believes it might be something related to my period, but I don't know. I just wish it would stop.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

Having something unusual going on with your body can be really stressful, especially if you're already anxious. It sounds like talking to your therapist may have helped a bit, but what about making another appointment to see your PCP? As Amanda said, anxiety and stress can cause some pretty odd physical sensations, but it never hurts to check in with a healthcare provider.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic