"Are you sexually active?"

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
anonymous1701
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

"Are you sexually active?"

Unread post by anonymous1701 »

Hi there! So within the past few months my boyfriend and I have started to get physical in our relationship (having manual/oral sex). Soon I'll be visiting with my general doctor and each time I go they ask if I'm sexually active/doing drugs or alcohol, they always ask my mom to leave before asking these questions. I've always said no because it was the truth. But now, I'm not sure what my answer to the question should be. Are they vaguely asking if I've have vaginal sex? In that case, the answer would be no. Or, are they asking if I'm parttaking in any sexual activities that pose a STI or pregnancy risk?
Secondly, will my answer be kept private or will they share it with my parents? I live in Canada, if that makes a difference with doctor/patient confidentiallity rules. Thanks a bunch :))
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: "Are you sexually active?"

Unread post by Heather »

Generally, what this question is about is about finding out if you have engaged in any sexual activities which can cause any kind of illness or pregnancy. So, if you've been sexual with someone in a way that involves anyone's genitals, then "yes" is the right answer to that question, followed up with which sexual activities you have engaged in.

Your health information is private, unless you give a doctor permission to share it with your parents. And if there is something you particularly want kept private, the best move is to make that clear to any healthcare providers expressly.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
anonymous1701
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

Re: "Are you sexually active?"

Unread post by anonymous1701 »

Okay! Thank you guys once again for being so so helpful :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic