Switching Pills

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
aj2234
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

Switching Pills

Unread post by aj2234 »

Hi guys. I just had a question about switching pills. I was advised by my doctor to switch from Yasmin to Monofeme. I had taken 2 active pills of Yasmin, but was advised that it was fine to start Monofeme on the next day. I was also told that I wouldn't need to use any barrier protection, but I'm still a bit worried about that, so I was intended on using additional barrier protection during my first month of Monofeme. The day before starting Monofeme, I had sex without barrier protection, but still used the pull out method. I was just wondering if this could pose any risk of pregnancy with the change of pills, or if it will be okay.

Thanks!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Switching Pills

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi aj2234,

If the person who proscribed the pills has instructed you to switch that way, then go ahead and follow their directions. And, using a condom is always a good plan for backing up the pill. The day you used withdrawl, since you were taking your Yasmin like normal, you still had protection from the pill, plus some protection from withdrawl. And, since you won't be ceasing the pills at any point (just switching), it shouldn't increase the odds of pregnancy. However, if you're worried about that, you can check with your doctor just to clarify.
aj2234
not a newbie

Unread post by aj2234 »

Thank you, that's a very satisfying response.

Just as a follow up question, in terms of missing the pill, is it the same protocol for Monofeme as it was for Yasmin (as in the 12 hour window for a missed pill)?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Yep: this is also a combined oral contraceptive like your previous pill. And if you read the patient information provided for each pack -- and anytime we start using a medication, we want to do that, whatever kind of medication it is -- you will typically find that information printed for you where you can easily reference it.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
aj2234
not a newbie

Unread post by aj2234 »

Awesome! Thanks for that Heather. Yes, I will do that, but the Monofeme information isn't as user-friendly as the Yasmin information booklet, so I just thought I'd double check.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Bummer. I hate it when patient-information isn't actually patient-friendly!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic