Depo shot and long period?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
dmarti02
not a newbie

Depo shot and long period?

Unread post by dmarti02 »

Hi! So I got my first depo shot on Jan 20th of this year. My period had just ended. I guess I had a little warning from my doctor that my periods, if I actually got them, would be different but I'm just a little concerned and would like some feedback. I didn't get my period in Feb but I got some light spotting March 3rd. It wasn't enough for a pad. Just some liners. But lately I noticed it keeps getting heavier and heavier. Today, I'm actually wearing a pad. Is this normal?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Depo shot and long period?

Unread post by Karyn »

Irregular bleeding is one of the possible side effects of Depo, so what you're experiencing doesn't sound unusual or like anything to be concerned about. It's pretty typical for things to be a bit out of whack in the first few months of using any hormonal method, because your body is adjusting to the extra hormones. If you want to double check, though, you can always call your doctor and ask if they think there's any cause for concern.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic