Serious birth control side effect?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Questionss
not a newbie

Serious birth control side effect?

Unread post by Questionss »

Ive been on birth control for two months. Yesterday night i noticed that my right calf felt kind of tight. Still like this in morning. It isnt painful it just feels different. I got freaked out because i read that leg cramping is a serious side effect of birth control. This isnt exactly leg cramping tho cuz it isnt painful. I also exercised for the first time in a couple weeks (squats and biking). Could it be from that or should i go to the doctor?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Serious birth control side effect?

Unread post by Heather »

If it's not painful, then you can assume you don't have to worry about it. And given your recent exercise changes, I'd say some muscular fatigue or change is a given! :)

But indeed, if it does turn into pain or numbness, then it never hurts to just try and call into who you see for healthcare and check with them if they think you should come in.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Questionss
not a newbie

Ok thank you! So what if there is like slight throbbing? Does that happen from just exercising?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Do muscles often throb when we've worked them hard? Yep.

If this is the first time you are doing something like squats, are you getting help and advice about that from anyone, or at least, reading a good reference book about adding or increasing exercise in your life? If not, sounds like that might be a good one for you, especially if you're not familiar at all with things like basic body recovery and response.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Questionss
not a newbie

Thank you for the help. I guess i just got paranoid from reading things online that say taking birth control increases your risk of blood clots. I know it can happen but it is more rare. I just didnt want to ignore it then end up having a serious issue
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Here is some sound and simple information about clots so that you can know more about that and what you DO need to pay attention to around this: http://www.stoptheclot.org/learn_more/b ... s__dvt.htm
Questionss
not a newbie

Thank you!
Questionss
not a newbie

So if someone does experience some of the serious side effects of birth control, like the leg cramping, does this make the pills less effective? Or are they still just as protected?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Side effects have no impact in effectiveness.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic