Pill question

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Prettyskittle
not a newbie

Pill question

Unread post by Prettyskittle »

I have been reading some articles online and just wondered if anyone had some thoughts.

Is it ok to take your contraceptive pill with a fizzy drink, say Pepsi for example. I know most recommend taking it with water but can these drinks dissolve the pill and make it less effective?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Pill question

Unread post by Heather »

Have you yet read your patient instructions that come with your pill packs? If not, it's important to do that with any medication we take. Those leaflets and patient information also always contain what you need to know about taking your medication properly.

So when, for instance, it doesn't mention what kind of fluid you need to drink to take your medication, you can safely assume that's because it does not matter, as if it did, it would be noted in that information.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Prettyskittle
not a newbie

Re: Pill question

Unread post by Prettyskittle »

It's a discussion myself & a few friends have been having as some of them take their contraceptive pills for example with a variety of liquids and it got me thinking.

I did look at my info pack just out of interest and it doesn't specify, 'swallow pill, with water if necessary' it doesn't actually say don't take with Pepsi or Lucazade for example.

I have always taken mine with a variety of drinks & never had any issues, I do understand where some of my friends are coming from as when I have taken my pill with a fizzy drink there has been a slight fizz of the pill, but these drinks don't dissolve tablets in your mouth!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic