Pregnancy testing

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Lanakins
not a newbie
Primary language: English

Pregnancy testing

Unread post by Lanakins »

Hello Scarleteen,

If I were to be 15 weeks pregnant (intercourse on Dec 19 2014 but on Nexplanon implant birth control), would a pregnancy test still show positive?
Hcg levels lower when you're further down you're pregnancy
I took a test yesterday and it was negative.
Would a pregnancy test show a positive result throughout the whole pregnancy and can I be for sure that I'm not?
My periods are now irregular since I am on the birth control implant.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Pregnancy testing

Unread post by Heather »

Pregnant people test positive on tests, so yes. Too, people who are 15 weeks pregnant generally are not going to feel 15 weeks pregnant. Being in the second trimester of pregnancy is hardly something where someone is not going to be experiencing physical and emotional changes due to pregnancy.

With the implant, you have some of the highest protection from pregnancy a single method can offer. But by all means, if you don't feel okay with just that -- or want STI protection, as well -- you can always back up with condoms, moving forward.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Lanakins
not a newbie
Primary language: English

Unread post by Lanakins »

I've been on the nexplanon implant for 4 months now
I feel like ive gone through changes in my body but now it makes more sense that it could be the side effects of the implant.
I have felt weight gain and a little "gut" in my stomach
The first thing that popped in my mind was pregnancy
I just wasn't sure if the test would still show positive this far along or throughout the whole pregnancy
But since you assured that it will definitely be positive, then it's safe to say I'm not pregnant since the test is negative
I guess it's time to lose weight :(
Thank you heather :)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Weight gain on the implant is a very common side effect of it and other progestin-only contraceptives, for sure. But I assure you, being in your second trimester of pregnancy isn't merely going to cause a little gut. There are a lot of changes the body will be going through by then. And again, you took a test: it was negative. :)

FYI, weight gain is also very common in puberty and just outside of it as well, so this may also just be your body having changes it would implant or no implant, and changes you don't have to race to try and "fix." :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic