First Visit To The Gynecologist

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
black_belt17
Awesomeness Quotient: I want to be a Social Worker
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: I'm bi

First Visit To The Gynecologist

Unread post by black_belt17 »

I have been referred to the gynecologist by my doctor so I can get birth control pills and I am quite nervous about this visit. I am currently sexually active and would like to know if the doctor is obligated to tell my mother based off the blatant fact I am under 18. Does the doctor still have to honor doctor-patient confidentiality even though I'm only 16 or do they have to tell her about my lack of virginity?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: First Visit To The Gynecologist

Unread post by Heather »

Can you tell me what state you're in? In the vast majority of states, no, healthcare providers cannot share sexual health information from minors with parents without your permission save in very limited circumstances (primarily, if and when the minor's life is at risk in some real way).

Too, know that "virginity: isn't something medical a doctor can find out about via an exam. What a doctor knows about your sexual history comes from what you tell them. Mind, if you want them to do the best job they can, it's important to be honest about that.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic