unsure to take plan b

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
xmetalgirl
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Artsy Fartsy
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her, they/them
Sexual identity: Female

unsure to take plan b

Unread post by xmetalgirl »

Hey!
While having intercourse, the condom slipped a lot off and we are unsure if i have to take plan b or not. I couldnt see anything but my boyfriend said that he was not sure if it was all the way off. What I kinda saw that it was just hanging off the head and the rest was way off when he pulled it out. He did not cum though, probably precum.
Im unsure what to do...help!
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: unsure to take plan b

Unread post by Eddie C »

Because we were not there with you and didn't see exactly what happened, is going to be up to you and the level of safety you want/need. While with no ejaculation the risk of pregnancy is lower, there would be still a risk.

You say you are not sure if the condom slipped all the way off, which would be kinda obvious because the condom wouldn't be hanging like you explained, but again, is going to be up to you. If you think it would make you feel better/safer to take it, that's something you can do.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Since your partner didn't ejaculate and the condom didn't come all the way off, the risk is relatively low, but just as Edith said, this is a situation where it's really down to how you feel about the situation.

If you find that you're having issues with condoms sliding off or mostly off often, you may want to experiment with a snugger-fit condom type to see if that solves the problem.
xmetalgirl
not a newbie

It was definitely too much lube lol
I took plan b just in case...i took it about two hours after it happened...is that good or too early?
xmetalgirl
not a newbie

I take supplements but i dont think it will do anything...just supplements lol. And I think I am probably ovulating...will it do anything while ovulating?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Eddie C »

Plan B works better if you take within the first 120 hours so, 2 hours after is totally okay.

Unless you are tracking your basal temperature and cervical mucus, is hard to know if you were ovulating. Anyway, Plan B works in 2 different ways: it would delay/inhibited ovulation or it would inhibited fertilization. You can learn more about Emergency Contraception, here: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexua ... traception

Also, this link might be helpful if you can give it a try: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_ ... _freakouts
xmetalgirl
not a newbie

Thank you!
One more question, what does it mean when it says that it stops sperm from fertilizing? Like what if an egg was not released yet, will it still stop the sperm from even reaching up there? Mostly asking because I heard how sperm can still stay in the system of the woman and when you ovulate few days later, it could fertilize. And also how long does it delay releasing an egg? I still kind of dont understand how it works even though I read a million things lol. All i know that it says it stops fertilzation, stops release of egg.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

So, we explain how Plan B works here: Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill)
Emergency contraception (EC) is a method of birth control, in that it is a means to prevent pregnancy before it occurs. Plan B can prevent pregnancy primarily, by delaying or inhibiting ovulation and inhibiting fertilization, and that may be the only way it works, as it is the way it has been proven to work in clinical studies. As explained by the ARHP, "although early studies indicated that alterations in the endometrium after treatment with the regimen might impair receptivity to implantation of a fertilized egg, more recent studies have found no such effects on the endometrium. Additional possible mechanisms include interference with corpus luteum function; thickening of the cervical mucus resulting in trapping of sperm; alterations in the tubal transport of sperm, egg, or embryo; and direct inhibition of fertilization. No clinical data exist regarding the last three possibilities."
So, long story short, just like most other oral contraceptives, Plan B can or may work in three different ways, all of which inhibit the three main components needed for a pregnancy to occur: by suppressing ovulation (which makes it so there isn't an ovum available in the first place), by thickening cervical mucus (so that sperm cells can't move to the cervix the way they usually can), and potentially also by thinning the lining of the uterus, so even in the rare event those other two things didn't happen, and there was an ovum that was fertilized, there wouldn't be enough lining for it to implant in, which is what creates a pregnancy.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
xmetalgirl
not a newbie

Thanks much more clear of how it works! But sorry to bother you guys again (I hate bothering you guys lol)
On other sites I have read as well (not stupid sites like Yahoo answers but I look at more educational sites for these things with Scarleteen) that EC does not work if you are ovulating or already ovulated, especially if you take the progestin pills and I took those ones. I do kind of keep track of my cervical mucus every month and it is usually always around 3-5 days after my period ended that I seem to be ovulating. I did have this mishap happen during the time frame, I'm unsure exactly if I am ovulating because you can never be too sure but it is most commonly at the time I keep track of. Is it true that it does not work if you are ovulating or already have ovulated? I don't want to worry or feel that I wasted my time and money on it.
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Eddie C »

Am I getting righ that you are already taking Birth Control pills' (progestin-only AKA the mini pill?) If not, then i do not understand what you mean by saying that you you "took those ones". Can you clarify that, please?
xmetalgirl
not a newbie

No not on mini pills. I mean I took the Plan b brand that has levonorgestrel in it. I read that it wont work if you are around ovulating or already ovulated and if youre close to ovulation to take the plan b brand called Ella because it uses something else. Is it true that plan b brands that use levongesterel and syntheric hormones wont work around ovulation?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Here's the thing: you don't chart your fertility to know when you ovulate ("kind of keeping track of mucus" is not fertility charting that can tell you with any real accuracy when you ovulate: that requires daily charting without fail for at least a few months of regular cycles AND having the education to then analyze those charts), and since this is in the past, it doesn't matter anyway. You took Plan B, now all you can do is wait this out, and make any changes or corrections to what contraception you use and how you use it in the future.

And per a more general answer, really, the jury is a bit out with some of those, and there's just not enough solid study on this for me to feel comfortable giving a solid answer yet. But it might help to realize that when taken within 24 hours, EC of all types (setting aside using combined oral contraceptives as EC) is around 95% effective. So, even if it turns out that is an issue, you can get a sense of how small an issue it must be (as in, an issues for probably less than 5% of EC uses).
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic