Birth control bleeding on active pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
emilzewinter
not a newbie

Birth control bleeding on active pill

Unread post by emilzewinter »

Hi!

I started taking birth control pills this past month and it has been great, no side effects at all. However, I am taking a low dose pill and the instructions say I should take it at the exact same time everyday but I have taken it late 3 times this cycle, an hour difference. I didn't know if an hour was a big deal so I ignored it. However, today I am on my last day of active pill and I bled a lot, just one time and when I wiped there was no blood but I clearly bled before taking my non active pills. My question is, is the pill still working although I bled on my active pill? Or did I bleed because I took it late causing it to not work? Or is it simply because it is a low dose and I need something stronger?
Thank you for always answering our questions :)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Birth control bleeding on active pill

Unread post by Heather »

Combined oral contraceptives have a 12 hour grace period before a pill is late, so so far as taking your pill as directed goes, you've been all good with that.

Breakthrough bleeding and spotting are one of the most common side effects of hormonal methods, and when they happen, that doesn't impact effectiveness. That also doesn't mean you're on the wrong pill. As well, side effects -- all of them -- with the pill tend to happen far more often in the first few cycles of using the pill. So, what you're experiencing will most likely taper off or reduce after you've been using the pill a few months.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
emilzewinter
not a newbie

Re: Birth control bleeding on active pill

Unread post by emilzewinter »

Thank you :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic