birth control and discharge

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Questionss
not a newbie

birth control and discharge

Unread post by Questionss »

Is it normal to have vaginal discharge while on birth control pills? I wasnt totally sure because i thought your vaginal discharge depends on ovulation time. But you dont ovulate while on birth control pills.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: birth control and discharge

Unread post by Mo »

Yep, vaginal discharge is still normal when on birth control pills, or other forms of hormonal birth control. You will likely not notice the same cycle of discharge you'd see if you weren't on the pill, but you will still be producing discharge.
Questionss
not a newbie

Ok so vaginal discharge has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the pill?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

That's correct.
Questionss
not a newbie

Ok thank you! Also today ive been experiencing these mild cramps i guess. This is a feeling i usually have around the time i get my period. But this is the first week of my new pack so my period was last week. When i took my pill this morning i felt like it got stuck down my throat. Would that have anything to do with it?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

Having trouble swallowing your pill won't affect anything, as long as you do manage to swallow it. Cramps can happen for all sorts of reasons, sometimes as a side effect of the pill. Unless you're having severe pain, I wouldn't say it's anything you need to be concerned about, but you can always double check that with a doctor if you like.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Questionss
not a newbie

Would it still be a side effect even tho this is my 4th pack of pills? Also ive never had this before except for before my period is starting. And again this wouldnt mean the pills are less effective right?
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Unread post by Amanda »

The exact cause of your cramping is something to consult with a doctor about. It might not even be related to your uterus-- cramping of the bowels can occur in a similar location and feel much like menstrual cramps. Regardless of what is causing the cramps, they certainly do not indicate that the pills are less effective in any way.

It seems like you have a lot of concern/stress about the effectiveness of your birth control pills and their side effects, yes? Have you thought much about why this might be the case? Do you see a healthcare provider on a regular basis (yearly, at least) for preventive and sexual health care, and are you able to contact them with medical questions/concerns?
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
Questionss
not a newbie

Yes i do. It just seems like i always think of these questions after i see her. Also i didnt want to make an appt just to ask about slight cramping. I just wanted to know if it affected the pills effectiveness so i could take extra caution when taking part in sexual acts
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Unread post by Amanda »

Ok great! Glad we were able to clear that up. :) Also, if you ever have specific medical questions that we may not be able to answer, you can most likely email your doctor (or contact her electronically in some way) to ask the question without having to make an appointment.
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
Questionss
not a newbie

Thank you :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic