What happens during ovulation?

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
ICantThink
not a newbie

What happens during ovulation?

Unread post by ICantThink »

I've posted before but I'm wanting someone to explain what happens during ovulation because I'm still not 100% sure what exactly is going on. I'm on ortho tricyclen lo so I know you don't ovulate while on birth control, but the whole process doesn't make much sense to me.

Also, I'm wondering if having cramps, feeling a little nauseous and light/tan brown discharge is part of the ovulation thing. I know I've had cramps around this time before (I'm in the middle of the week id be ovulating) but I haven't really paid attention to if I felt nausea or a paid attention to discharge color before so I'm a little confused. I haven't gotten sick, but just had that funny feeling whenever I'd lay down the past couple days (in alignment with when my ovulation week started.)

So I'm just wanting to learn more about it to hopefully understand it better and if slight nausea and light/tan brown discharge is normal or at least common.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: What happens during ovulation?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Icantthink,

If you haven't, I'd start by reading these pieces and seeing if they clarify things for you:
Get With the Flow: All About FAM
Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions
On the Rag: A Guide to Menstruation
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I'd also add, just to do the long and the short of it, that mostly what is happening during ovulation is that you are ovulating. And it's not something most people will notice most of the time, and the hormonal and other chemical changes that occur -- and whatever other body things people can experience as a result, are mostly happening before and after ovulation, not during.

That said, some people do sometimes experience some light cramping (called, in this case, middleschmerz) or brief, light spotting.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
ICantThink
not a newbie

Unread post by ICantThink »

Thanks. This was helpful. I appreciate it :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic