Question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Dolly68
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My eyes
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Question

Unread post by Dolly68 »

Hi, I have a question for you guys because there's so much info on the Internet that just stirs up anxiety. I really only trust you guys. I have a friend that is HIV positive I'm afraid of contracting it obviously and just want to know if you can help me understand something. A few weeks back I touched some of her dry blood which you ruled out was not a risk. However, I'm struggling with stuff like oh she touched my dresser when she had a cut on her finger, then my pack of bc pills were later on that spot, then I took my pills and it went into my mouth. There may have been some dry blood in that spot and then I may have touched it and then took my bc pill and touched my mouth. ( Like can my pill pack have the HIV virus on them? ) When you guys say it can be transferred orally is that what u mean? Also when ppl can contract through contact does it have to be wet fresh blood? Can you help me understand how scenarios like that cannot make you contract HIV? I want to be friends with her but am struggling.
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Re: Question

Unread post by Amanda »

Hi Dolly,

I know we have addressed your anxieties around HIV transmission in the past. Here is some information from the CDC that should ease your anxieties: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/transmission.html

The events that you are describing do not involve the direct exchange of blood or sexual fluids, so they do not pose a risk of transmission. HIV has been highly stigmatized in our society, which may be why certain people have much anxiety about transmission. But I want to assure you that unless you are engaging in any of the risky activities listed on the webpage I gave you, you are not at risk. So if after you read and fully understand the information I gave you, you still feel anxious, I would recommend seeking help for your anxiety. Looking at some of your past posts, it seems like you are a fairly anxious person. Is that a fair assessment? Is counseling something that might be available to you? Have you talked with your doctor about your feelings of anxiety at all?

Additionally, for people with anxiety, frequent outside reassurance actually makes anxiety worse, and creates a dependency where an anxious person is no longer able to rationally evaluate situations for themselves. We don't want that for you, so we really cannot keep answering your questions about HIV risk. If you have further concerns, please contact your doctor.
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic