Guidelines or Advice for Working Through Sexual Anxiety

Questions and discussion about sexual or other abuse or assault, and support and help for survivors.
Forum rules
This area of the boards is expressly for support and help for those who are currently in or have survived abuse or assault. It is also for those seeking information or discussion about abuse or assault. Please make every effort in this space to be supportive and sensitive. Posts in this area may or do describe abuse or assault explicitly.

This area of the boards is also not an area where those who are themselves abusing anyone or who have abused or assaulted someone may post about doing that or seek support. We are not qualified to provide that kind of help, and that also would make a space like this feel profoundly unsafe for those who are being or who have been abused. If you have both been abused and are abusing, we can only discuss harm done to you: we cannot discuss you yourself doing harm to others. If you are someone engaging in abuse who would like help, you can start by seeking out a mental healthcare provider.
thinkmcflythink
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She, Her, etc.
Sexual identity: Cis gender, heterosexual female

Guidelines or Advice for Working Through Sexual Anxiety

Unread post by thinkmcflythink »

Dear Scarleteen,

I have realized that I still have a lot of anxiety issues when it comes to sexual activities. I was in a relationship a few years ago where I was partner assaulted and emotionally abused. I have come a long way in terms of overcoming anxiety, but I still have a long way to go. I find myself obsessing and worrying over minimal chances of potential pregnancy, even though I am on an oral contraceptive and always remember to take it correctly. I read your article on pregnancy risks and I am definitely the type of person who basically builds up a bomb shelter of contraceptive methods. I usually require at least three methods and a failed pregnancy test to feel safe, even for like a two percent risk. I know that doing this puts a damper on basically all activities for everyone involved, especially me. The truth is, I don't know when I'll ever feel comfortable and not worry. I want to be able to have sex and do those things, but my anxiety holds me back. I have been in sexual situations where I literally burst into tears because I couldn't handle it emotionally.

How do I start to work through these issues so that being sexual isn't something that keeps me up at night making sure that I am "okay?" Would seeing a counselor help me? If so, how can I find those services and what type of counselor should I be looking for? How do I get my sexual partner and family to understand my pain without thinking that I am crazy, so I don't have to hide it anymore?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: Guidelines or Advice for Working Through Sexual Anxiety

Unread post by Eddie C »

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time, thinkmcflythink. The good news is that there is hope! :)

Yes! Seeing a counselor can help, and cand help a lot. If you don't know how to find one we are more than happy to help you start the process if you want to. I would say that the best option is to look for someone with experience with survivors of violence. That can make a difference.

Saddly there's no way you can control the reactions of your family and your partner around this. That depends only on them. But, what I can tell you is that you are not crazy, regardless of what they might think/say or the way they react. Your feelings are real and valid and deserve the time and energy to pay attention to them. You can try to explain and even educate those around you but still, is up to them how they react.

So, do you want any help finding those resources? :)
thinkmcflythink
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She, Her, etc.
Sexual identity: Cis gender, heterosexual female

Unread post by thinkmcflythink »

Yes! I would love help finding a counselor! The university I attend actually has a decent psychological services area as part of the health center on campus. Sexual issues are listed under the areas that they provide services for. Either way, I think it would be beneficial if I even just talked to someone that has a more unbiased role in the situation, rather than friends or family. However, I do think it would be beneficial to at least have the number for someone who deals with abuse survivors in my area in case what the university is able to offer isn't effective.
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

From what you say, I think the best place to start is with your university health services. After knowing what you have handy in there then we can brainstorm what else you might need and how to get it. Does that sound okay to you?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic