Wiping?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
hellohi

Wiping?

Unread post by hellohi »

Okay so this might be a little long but I want to give you as many details as possible. \
My cycle is sort of irregular but it's usually around 31-32 days. I started my last period on April 5th and it ended on around April 11th. My boyfriend had safe sex on April 11th (we checked this condom and he withdrew) and April 19th (he didn't finish at all) but those days I'm not as worried about. I think I ovulated around April 22nd-25th because that's when I felt the most wet (I had the most clear, watery discharge then). My boyfriend and I then had sex on April 26th, we had sex once and checked the condom by filling it with water. We then had sex a second time later in the day and checked it after he came (he also withdrew). After removing that condom, we put another one on without wiping the penis and had sex a third time (he didn't finish). This is what I am a little worried about. His penis was still a little wet and I don't know if his hands may have transferred semen from his penis on to the outside of the condom or some was on the outside. Should you be wiping the penis before putting a new one on after sex? According to a regular cycle, I should have had my period by now, it's been about 36 days. For the last couple of days, I have had moderate cramps and quite a bit of creamy, watery discharge, I thought before your period you're not supposed to get much discharge? I've been stressed about my missing period for about a week but from what I've learned, stress doesn't delay your period, it delays your ovulation, and I am pretty certain I have already ovulated.
I'm just scared something happened that we weren't aware of and I became pregnant, resulting in a missing period.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Wiping?

Unread post by Heather »

There's no need for anyone to wipe a penis when changing condoms or putting one on initially: the condom covers the surface of the penis, including any fluids which may already be on it. Figure it's like if you had lotion on your feet and rolled a sock or stocking on: you're not going to get that lotion on our hands (unless there's a whole LOT of it), because you'd be rolling the sock right over it.

It sounds, though, like using condoms alone isn't something you feel comfortable with. Would you like help or information about all your contraception options, so you can look into a second method to use with condoms to increase the level of protection you have and the level of security you feel with this?

Per ovulation, that really is something people have to chart, over time -- using daily charting of cervical mucus, basal temperatures or both -- to have reliable information about. So, unless you're doing that -- and have regular periods so you can even have the bare basics needed to be able to have consistent patterns to analyze -- it's just not sound to even try and think about when you may or may not have been most fertile, because you just don't have the kind of information to do that with much accuracy.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
hellohi

Unread post by hellohi »

Okay, and I think just reading other stuff on the internet has made me nervous about using only condoms because of the wrong information people hand out. I wanted to check facts with this site as I trust it a ton.
My boyfriend and I have decided to wait another week before taking a test.
Is it okay to come back to this thread if I have more questions?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

Of course, you can come back and post more questions to any time. That's what we're here for. :)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic