Birth control pill

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Birth control pill

Unread post by Heather »

Too, spermicides are basically dish soap, so a lot of people experience genital irritation with them. IMO, better to just learn how to use condoms consistently and correctly. If it helps to know, in decades of using...erm (awkward!), many condoms, with many different partners, I have literally never once had a break, and only had a slip-off twice, which I can say occurred both times due to a partner not being real about the snugger size of condom they needed. :P

Want a couple links on proper condom use?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Hearth6
not a newbie

Unread post by Hearth6 »

Oh I see haha :) . Yeah my partner used one a couple times and afterwards it looked like some 'came out' of the condom but I think it was just my fluid or something I'm not sure 100%.

Yeah that would be great! Boy I'm going to be a bucket full of knowledge after all this which is good!!!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

You got it!
All the Barriers! All the Time!
Condom Basics: A User's Manual

Feel free to ask for more details if you need'em. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Hearth6
not a newbie

Unread post by Hearth6 »

So I was reading more into all the different birth controls and I realized I want a non hormonal birth control, so I think the paragard sounds the best. Are those good? Do they cause a lot of unwanted side effects? I heard it may cause anemia.

Also, until I finish my pack of pills this month, I have a question: is it ok that I took a few pills about 30 minutes early and some 30 minutes late? Does that impact its effectiveness?
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Ashleah »

Paragards are very effective at preventing pregnancy! Really it depends on what works best for you. I think not having to keep up with "proper use" is a benefit many find attractive but, again, it's up to you. The most common side effect is heavier and longer periods as well as spotting which typically calms after a few months. We can't say how the paragard would affect you specifically since people can experience different symptoms.

And you are fine taking your pill 30 mins early or late.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Hey again Hearth,

30 minutes either side won't impact effectiveness, so you're plenty safe there. Also I've not heard anything about anemia, but having a copper IUD can cause heavy bleeding. If it did, I struggle think it'd be approved as birth control, although I haven't heard much information about that before.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Hearth6
not a newbie

Unread post by Hearth6 »

Oh ok thanks, I know I struggled with acne before I took the pill and the pill helped with that, will the paragard cause acne at all since its copper?
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Unread post by Amanda »

Hi Hearth,

Acne is not considered one of the common side effects of the paragard IUD, but it likely won't help with acne either since it doesn't contain any hormones. If you ultimately decide that the paragard is the right choice for you, consider talking with your doctor about other ways to manage acne, or get a referral to a dermatologist if possible. Anemia is a possible side effect, but like Jacob mentioned it is associated with the other possible side effect of heavy bleeding. Also, regarding birth control pills, your "safe window" is 12 hours for a combined pill, and 3 hours for the progesterone only or "mini pill."
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
Hearth6
not a newbie

Unread post by Hearth6 »

Yeah I just want to use the most effective birth control that works best for me, because the hormones really affect me I feel nauseous constantly every day. Is the mini pill known to cause nausea like the combination pill? Does it help with acne at all?

Oh wow I had no idea about the safe window, the pamphlet doesn't mention anything about a time frame that it is ok to take the pill. Regarding missed pills, it's ok to take two the same day 3 hours apart right?
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Ashleah »

The mini pill is less likely to cause nausea. I believe that there are only a few combination pills that have been shown to help with acne. That is something you can ask your doctor when you talk to them about birth control. And as Heather mentioned early, you might not continue to experience nausea using other methods.

And you should be fine. When you miss 1 pill it instructs you to take one as soon as you remember and then one at your normal time (and backing up) even if that means taking 2 pills in the same day. But more than 2 pills should not be taken in a day.
Hearth6
not a newbie

Unread post by Hearth6 »

Is that because the pill goes directly to the stomach and other methods do not?

Oh ok so the one I missed on Thursday I ended up taking it the next day on Friday, three hours before the one I took at my normal time, so I took two in one day, so it seems as if I should be fine.
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Ashleah »

Even though the hormones are the same, they enter the bloodstream differently depending on the method so it MAY result in different side effects or the way that you experience those side effects.
Hearth6
not a newbie

Unread post by Hearth6 »

I've noticed since I've been on my new birth control pill I've been having brown discharge after I have inter course with my boyfriend, is that something to worry about?
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Unread post by Amanda »

Spotting (brown discharge = blood) is a normal side effect of hormonal birth control, especially within the first few months of starting a new hormonal method.
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
Hearth6
not a newbie

Unread post by Hearth6 »

I used to be on a stronger combination pill for 7 months, then I switched to a lower dose one that I'm currently on for almost 2 months now, I switched due to nausea. So that's common when switching pills? so I should not think it has anything to do with pregnancy?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

Yes. It only takes practice. :)

Here's a good place to start: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexua ... ers_manual
Hearth6
not a newbie

Unread post by Hearth6 »

I have been doing a lot of reading and it seems as if it is very common for women to experience brown discharge (spotting) during their cycle when they first start the pill. I have been on tri sprintec for 7 months and did not get any discharge, I then switched over to a new brand Levora 2 months ago and I have experienced brown discharge both months on this new birth control, is that normal? It's a lower dose than tri sprintec. I just didn't understand why I didn't get any discharge during my 7 months on tri sprintec but all of a sudden on levora I have had it during both months so far. This has nothing to do with pregnancy right?
Hearth6
not a newbie

Unread post by Hearth6 »

^bump?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

So sorry this got missed!

There's no reason to think that the spotting is due to pregnancy. What is most common with pregnancy is a lack of any bleeding.

Switching pill brands can definitely cause some side effects, including spotting. As Ashleah mentioned, while all combined pills are quite similar, they're not exactly the same, and your body can react differently to different formulations. With any new method (including a new brand of pill) you want to give your body about three months to adjust, and then figure if you're still having side effects that you're not comfortable with after that point, it's worth trying something else. (If you and your partner aren't up to date with your STI screenings, it wouldn't hurt to do that either - some spotting after sex can be due to STIs, although if you've been consistently using condoms then the chances of STIs are low.)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Hearth6
not a newbie

Unread post by Hearth6 »

Can you get an STI even if both my partner and I have not slept with any other people? How does someone get an STI?
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Ashleah »

Hey,

It is unlikely, but possible. You can find a detailed answer here: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advic ... ave_an_sti

STIs are transmitted by sexual contact but some can be transmitted during nonsexual activity (such as sharing needles with a person who is HIV positive).

Different sexual activities present a different level of risk for STIs. You can find more about that here: Can I Get Pregnant or Pass On An STI From That
Hearth6
not a newbie

Unread post by Hearth6 »

Ok thanks.

So brown discharge can also be called spotting? I only notice it after intercourse, not when I use the bathroom or anything..is that normal?
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Ashleah »

Brown discharge can be spotting and is a common side effect associated with taking the pill. Brown discharge can also be related to other things. The only way to determine if this is spotting or something else is to check in with a doctor.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic