TODAY sponge

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
asd123
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her

TODAY sponge

Unread post by asd123 »

Hi I had sex and used the today sponge. So I pull the sponge out later and it was split in two right down the middle. I read in their faq "There may be minor separation or "splitting" of sponge material at stress points around the ribbon loop or in the center of the indentation. But these minor separations do not affect the contraceptive capabilities of Today Sponge in any way." but I'm not sure if the sponge splitting into two completely separate parts counts! I know this is Scarleteen and not the today sponge design crew, but I thought I'd at least ask to see if anyone knew more about this?
asd123

Re: TODAY sponge

Unread post by asd123 »

Not sure how to edit posts but I should mention this is the second time this has happened but the first time I was also using a condom.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

I'd guess that as long as both parts of the sponge remained in your vagina for the required amount of time after sex, then the effectiveness was not likely reduced much if at all, but your best bet for an answer to this is to call the manufacturer. (Probably sooner rather than later: if the effectiveness was compromised, the sooner you know that the sooner you can obtain emergency contraception if that's something you'd want to do.)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
asd123

Unread post by asd123 »

Thanks- that's a good idea. Oh and don't worry already took plan b.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic