What is this white thing in my vagina? Hymen?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Jtails2
Awesomeness Quotient: sense of humour
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: female?

What is this white thing in my vagina? Hymen?

Unread post by Jtails2 »

So I have this white stuff sort of like really white discharge not totally white tho its like creamy (sorry for the TMI but I want to make sure I'm making sense). I'm 16 and when I look at my vagina, it's always there. I'm a virgin so it can't be an STD or anything else. So basically, my vagina hole is covered o.O But it's couldn't be discharge...i read i should use a shower head to remove it when i did i just felt pain and discomfort....and it was still there after. I have looked on Google before and my vagina looks similar to this: https://www.healthtap.com/user_question ... rate-hymen (the first picture) but my vagina hole is at the very bottom and is small. I know my hymen was huge but it doesn't explain the white stuff covering my vagina and in it. I have had my period many times and its normal i have heavy days and regular days :P .... Anyone have an idea of what the white stuff is and can i have my hymen removed or will it grow back. Also will my vagina hole get bigger or will my hymen retract or it stay the same size.
asd123
Primary language: english

Re: What is this white thing in my vagina? Hymen?

Unread post by asd123 »

Does it feel painful or itchy? I had white discharge when I was a virgin because I had a yeast infection. Yeast infections can happen without any sexual activity. But if you do, you most likely will feel discomfort. If you have had many regular periods you probably don't have to worry about your hymen size. Your hymen doesn't grow back. Your hymen will probably stay the same size but you can make the hole bigger by masturbating or having someone finger/insert things in.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: queer

Re: What is this white thing in my vagina? Hymen?

Unread post by Karyn »

Hi Jtails2.

The best person to answer your questions is a healthcare provider, because they'll be able to examine you in person and tell you exactly what's going on.

If you want some more information about the hymen (now called the corona) you can have a look at this piece: My Corona: The Anatomy Formerly Known as the Hymen & the Myths That Surround It

The hymen doesn't grow back, but neither does it need to be removed (unless it's causing problems with menstruation or sex). It's quite delicate tissue that wears away on its own gradually, due to things like menstrual flow and hormone levels. Once it wears away, the little bits that do remain just stay around the entrance to the vagina, but that's often not very obvious.

Whether or not your corona is visible, though, the entrance to the vagina will tend to look quite small when there's nothing in it, because the vagina is a muscular tube that basically collapses in on itself when there's nothing in it: a bit like a sock without a foot in it. If you haven't already seen it, there's a good overview of the anatomy of the vulva, vagina, and uterus in this piece: Innies & Outies: The Vagina, Clitoris, Uterus and More
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic