Question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Dolly68
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My eyes
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Question

Unread post by Dolly68 »

Hi, I have a funny question. When you are on the pill can you have sex/orgasm at any time of the day? I was wondering if you have sex and/or orgasm right after you take your bc pull it may interfere with the digestion of it? I take mine at night so I was wondering about this. If you can clarify it for me that would be great:)
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Question

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Dolly,

Nope, when you have sex during the day will not have an effect on how well your pill works.
Dolly68
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My eyes
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Dolly68 »

Ok. Thanks!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Just to also be clear, your digestive system isn't connected to your reproductive system (so orgasm or sex has no real impact on your digestive system), and your pill isn't really digested like food is. Rather, it's absorbed into your bloodstream.

Plus, oral contraceptives are a cumulative medication, meaning it's not like you take one pill, and that one pill does a thing for that given day. Rather, as you keep taking the pill, it acts on your cycle for your whole cycle, not day-by-day, and the pills you have been taking in an ongoing way -- again, not just one pill -- are what make the pill work to prevent pregnancy.

That's why the pill isn't immediately effective when people first start it, for example, and why when people miss a pill or take it late, so long as they make it up, their effectiveness isn't likely to be compromised.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic