Whether to take EC

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
briggsy101
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm very articulate
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

Whether to take EC

Unread post by briggsy101 »

Hello, I have a few questions about emergency contraception. I unintentionally had genital-to-genital contact with my boyfriend last night (his penis touching my vulva with no actual penetration). I was tired and it was dark and I thought he was wearing a condom. He didn't ejaculate but I know there's a risk of pregnancy with any sort of fluid sharing, even pre-cum with vaginal secretions. It was pretty brief, then I sort of came to my senses and backed up. This is a new relationship and I think I have more of an understanding of sexual risks, etc, than he does. He and I obviously need to have some more discussions about this topic.

That said, I'm feeling very paranoid about the encounter. I've taken Plan B before (actually within the last two weeks) and it has greatly helped to ease my mind. However, my body is very sensitive to the hormone in that pill, and I would rather avoid taking it again unless there's a very solid reason. I took an ovulation test earlier, and this is not one of my fertile days. I'm only on day 8 of my cycle. Can you please advise?

(I've made an appointment for a birth control consult with my gyno, except it's still two weeks away. So, in the meantime, condoms are the only thing we've been using. My partner is uncircumcised and has difficulty finding ones that fit properly/safely).

Thanks for your time.
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Whether to take EC

Unread post by Johanna »

This is really a decision you need to make for yourself. You already know that the risk was very low, so there is nothing for me to add to that. If you know you'd feel better taking EC, then it's the way to go.

In terms of condoms, have you tried using bigger condoms to give him some extra room? Another option would be to use the internal, or female condom. Maybe you two can just shop for a variety pack online, to give yourself some different condoms to play around with to see what works best. You can start with that right here on Scarleteen: http://www.scarleteen.com/condom_shop
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic