Going back on Birth control

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Rainbowhooves
not a newbie

Going back on Birth control

Unread post by Rainbowhooves »

I started birth control pills about four days ago but I did not take it today because I have been having irritable bowel syndrome for more then a month. I'll be constipated and then have diarrhea so I figured I wasnt getting any protection anyways.

When (hopefully soon) I get better how do I go back on it? Can I just start on any day? I used three pills so I have starting Wednesday. I'm trying not to have sex with my boyfriend until then. I wanted to go on pills + condoms.

Thank you.
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Going back on Birth control

Unread post by Johanna »

Rainbow, did you discuss your IBS with your doctor? An oral contraceptive may not be the best choice for you, if you regularly have gastrointestinal issues. Something like the implant or the shot, or an IUD, may be a better option for you. Please let me know if you'd like some more info about any of these methods.

In terms of what is going on for you right now, I would suggest that you follow your pill's instructions for a missed pill, since that is essentially what happened: you missed today's pill. So please check what the information that came with your pill says for you to do in case a pill is missed. And from here on out, you'll want to continue to take the pill every day, even if you think it may be compromised. Staying in the habit of taking the pill at the same time every day is still better than taking it erratically and skipping pills.

As far as your protection is concerned, you will want to back up with condoms throughout this entire first pack on the pill anyway, just to be safe.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Rainbowhooves
not a newbie

I cant really see the doctor I got it from as it wasnt a GYN

I got off it completely until I get better as I figured It wouldnt be doing much anyways so how do I get back ON to it . Not a missed pill but all together?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english

Unread post by Sam W »

As far as getting back onto the pill, it would be best if you call a pharmacist or the person who proscribed the pill for their advice, and continue to back up with condoms. As for looking into alternative hormonal contraceptives, it doesn't have to be an OB-GYN who you discuss that with. The doctor who you talked to about the pill should be able to discuss those options with you as well.
Rainbowhooves
not a newbie

Oh So I just walk into Rite aid and ask them about it?
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Yes, the pharmacist there should be able to give you some info.
Rainbowhooves
not a newbie

It's really embarrassing to go into a store a filled as rite aid and request to talk to them about birth control.

It was super embarrassing to pick it up .

The rite aid is really close to my home as well and im worried my mom will walk in while I'm talking to them

Can I just wait until my refill and reset?
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

You might be able to call in, if you're nervous about going in person (although really, the people who are there are either going to not notice or not care what you're doing, as they are all most likely pre-occupied with their own stuff). And, as Johanna, said, it would be best to keep taking the pack you have (even if the effectiveness has decreased).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic