IUD's and hormonal contraception on sexual attraction

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Forsythia
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: the limit does not exist
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: heterosexual

IUD's and hormonal contraception on sexual attraction

Unread post by Forsythia »

Hello Scarleteen!

I have a couple questions regarding IUD's and the effect of hormonal contraception on sexual attraction. A little background first: I am a college-aged, heterosexual female who has been a satisfied OC combination pill user for about two years with no complications. However, I'm exploring switching to a more long-lasting, reversible method such as the copper or hormonal IUD. In addition to the cost effectiveness of the IUD method, I'm looking for a method that is user/goof friendly, and it would be nice to use contraception as low-maintenance as the IUD. I'm looking to get some information on a particular side effect of hormonal contraception that I've researched and more specifically about the types of IUD's available in relation to the first question.

1) I've recently been looking into some studies on the effects of hormonal birth control methods (specifically OC's) on the biochemistry of sexual attraction. To sum up these studies, there is evidence that the use of some hormonal methods might influence or predict sexual attraction, partner selection, & relationship satisfaction. To me, these studies seemed rather alarming. While the evidence is certainly inconclusive, why are people not talking about this? As I'm approaching a time in my life where I might begin to search for a life partner, sexual attraction will be an important factor and I wouldn't want to unknowingly endanger that (to any degree) through the use of certain contraceptive methods. Any thoughts on the issue? I'm definitely interested in what this new research will find, what others have to say, and I'm eager to learn more.

Here are a couple links for some info on the subject:
2) Now focused in the context of the first question, I was wondering if the hormonal IUD (US Mirena) could technically be considered a hormonal method? There seem to be mixed answers as to whether Mirena suppresses ovulation, some websites say this is the case for some women and some not. I know the contraceptive mechanism of the IUD is still somewhat unknown, but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this.

Thanks so much for your help! :D
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: IUD's and hormonal contraception on sexual attraction

Unread post by Heather »

The Mirena and other IUDs with a localized hormone are not hormonal methods of contraception, no. The hormone in them is, again, localized, and only present to counteract uterine side effects of the device. It does not do the same things hormonal methods do, and the amount of hormone released is not at all comparable.

These studies and theories are pretty innately flawed in a bunch of different ways. For instance, they don't account for same-sex attraction, people's orientation or for all the motivations involved in sexual attraction and relationship choices that are not related to reproduction, fertility, estrogen or progesterone. They discount the giant diversity of human sexual attraction quite massively, and some of the attraction factors they presume, and base their findings on, are known to be false based on other, broader data. For example, in most studies and polls, heterosexual cisgender male preferences with breast size tend to usually skew to smaller breasts, not larger. It also basically presumes that people who are not or no longer fertile aren't attracted to people anymore, or not in big ways, which is just silliness. Same goes double for the idea that when people are choosing relationships, those two hormones are what most influence people's brains.

Personally, I would suggest discounting them when choosing methods. I, myself, have yet to see what I would consider sound study on this, and am not sure that's even possible.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Forsythia
not a newbie

Thank you for your information and advice, Heather!

I agree, these hypotheses and studies don't even begin to account for the complexity and nuance of human sexuality and should be taken with probably more than just a grain of salt. At the same time, I think it's important to integrate them into our knowledge, critically analyze and question their claims, and remain curious about what doors they might open. Please let me know if you ever come across any related research/discourse that looks at the issue through a more comprehensive lens.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

If and when the studies are based in sounder premises and data, I'll do that. Until then, not so much for me, but by all means, if it's something you want to pay attention to, knock yourself out! :)

(Great handle, by the way. Veruca Salt fan?)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Forsythia
not a newbie

Haha, thank you! I was thinking more of the flower (it's wild and lovely), but I think you've just turned me on to a new great band ;) .
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Oh my goodness: for sure, if you don't know them, do have a listen. They were (still are? Not sure.) AMAZING. They even did a song about masturbation (Seether)!
Forsythia
not a newbie

Yesssss! That's awesome. I will give them a listen. Thanks again for your help!
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Sure thing. And thanks for the song reminder. I haven't listened to that album in ages and it's a fine, fine soundtrack for my morning. :)

Do you want any other help when it comes to questions about the IUD or choosing a method?
Forsythia
not a newbie

Haha, of course! And thank you, but not at the moment. I'll continue browsing the site (what a great way to pass the time) and I'll let you know if I come up with any more questions.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic