Can I rely wholly on condoms?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
anonymous1701
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

Can I rely wholly on condoms?

Unread post by anonymous1701 »

My boyfriend and I are thinking about having sex for the first time. We want to be safe, but I do not want to get on any kind of hormonal birth control right now. Is it risky to rely completely on a condom to prevent pregnancy during sex? I can't seem to get a straight answer if it's crazy to not have a backup method.. Thanks so much!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Can I rely wholly on condoms?

Unread post by Heather »

It just depends on what you are comfortable with. Two methods are always going to give the most protection, but loads of people also only use one, and condoms are as fine a choice as any, if that is the method you want to use.

They are 98% effective in one year of proper use, and 86% effective in one year of typical use. How do those rates feel to you? And are condoms the single method you would most prefer? Hormonal methods aren't your only alternative.

Would you rather have a second method, or feel better about a different some method? If so, it's not like holding off until you have what'll make you feel best about isn't an option! :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
anonymous1701
not a newbie

Okay thank you so so much that really answered my question :)

And also, I hear those terms alot, but I've never had them explained to me. Does perfect use in a year just mean that a condom is used everytime you have sex as well as used properly within a year, where typical use would mean that condoms are used sometimes in sex and not always used correctly with in a year?

From what I've learned in my health classes and from discussions my boyfriend and I have had, I think that a condom is something we both feel comfortable using! But it wouldn't hurt to refresh myself or do some more research.. Do you guys have an STI protection/ birth control method article that you could link me to?
taylor_alyse
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: What's not awesome??
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Unread post by taylor_alyse »

Hello anonymous1701!

"Typical use" means that the condom is not used perfectly every time, for the entire time. This means maybe it wasn't used according to directions, or was not always used. A common mistake is letting the condom dry out (lubricant is not involved, etc.), thus the condom can easily break. A few of the other things to keep in mind are the expiration date, where the condom is stored, etc.

Check out this article! http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexua ... trol_bingo
There you can read up more on all sorts of methods.

If you decide to use condoms, have you seen our safer sex shop? http://www.scarleteen.com/condom_shop
Nothing happens in the "real" unless it first happens in the images in our heads -Gloria Anzaldúa
anonymous1701
not a newbie

Holy, that was the most helpful resource I've ever seen. Thank you so so much Scarleteen for being the best sex educators on the planet, and for always being there
for us :)
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

What a wonderful thank you! Glad you're finding the site so useful. :)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic