Itchy vag

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Rainbowhooves
not a newbie

Itchy vag

Unread post by Rainbowhooves »

So about a week ago I was having a light itch "down there" that went away in about three days.

I had sex again and the itch is on full blast now. It's rather strong and I'm at a loss on what to do. I cant make an appointment to a GYN until Monday and who knows when they will see me.

Any advice on how to keep the itching down until then?

There are no bumps or sores or discharge . No bad smell . Just itch . I've always used a condom and my boyfriend tested clean on everything .

Thanks
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Re: Itchy vag

Unread post by Amanda »

Hi rainbowhooves,

Drug stores like Walgreens sell a variety of over-the-counter vaginal anti-itch creams that you could try. Itching and irritation can be caused by an infection, but not always. Either way, avoid irritants down there, like antibacterial soap, condoms (and intercourse in general, for now), scented tampons, etc., all of which could contribute to the itching.

Hope this helps!
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Also, you say your boyfriend had STI testing done: have you? If not, may as well ask for that when you make your GYN appointment.

As some extra DIY helps in the meantime, you may find that taking a cool bath with an oatmeal treatment (you can get them at most drugstores: not a bubble bath, but a bath treatment specifically for itchy skin) helps. If you can't find that, but have salt in the house, a salt water bath might help.

Be sure to also stick to cotton undergarments only, and loose ones, not something like a thong.

A plain yogurt poultice can also help. To do that, you just get plain, organic yogurt, and just take a few-fingersful and swipe it on your vulva, then just sit with it for a little while, rinsing off with cool water. In the event this is a yeast infection, the probiotics in the yogurt can also help you get a leg up on treating it before you can get treated by your doctor.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Rainbowhooves
not a newbie

Thank you all for your replies.

I will try out the advice.

My boyfriend did have testing done however I dont mind getting myself tested. I was taking antibotics for my lungs and I read that they can cause a vaginal infection as well.
The yougurt on there is a little weird but I'll give it a try . Any relief helps . It does itch less today though.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Just so you know, we always have to each get our own testing. A partner's tests only tell us about their health and what infections they may or may or may not currently have: they don't tell us anything at all about our health, and what infections we may or may not currently have. Plus, without knowing specifically what a boyfriend was tested for, and when, even what his results can tell you or suggest may be limited.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Rainbowhooves
not a newbie

Thanks

More then likely I'll be asked to get tested so I guess I will.

I did try the oatmeal bath as I did have some at home and it helped for a little while. I think the itchy-ness has gone done.

The itch feels to be on the inside rather then the outside. My boyfriend did accidentally scratch me there about a week ago so I'm sure it's that. Gonna go regardless
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Since this has been off and on for the last week, I'd suggest going ahead with that appointment, too. Hope you can feel better soon! :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic