Late putting in nuvaring

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Cupkate13
not a newbie

Late putting in nuvaring

Unread post by Cupkate13 »

Hi!

I started the nuvaring last month on June 11th and I inserted it at 10:15pm. I took it out on July 2nd at 10:15 pm on the dot. I was supposed to insert it tonight (July 9th) at the same time but didn't get home in time. I inserted it at 10:36 pm instead.

I have two questions because I inserted it late:

(1) am I still protected or do I need to wait 7days? How does this impact the rings efficiency for the month? (Assuming this isn't perfect use because iwas late, how protected am I?)

(2) because I was late, does my removal time and insertation time now change? Since it was at 10:15 pm and I inserted it at 10:36 pm, is my new removal time 10:36 pm three weeks from now and new insertation time 10:36 pm a week from removal?

Sorry about the long questions. I don't know too much about this method of birth control since I was on the pill for years and couldn't find any information about what to do if I was late to insert besides put it in anyways.

Thanks so much!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Late putting in nuvaring

Unread post by Heather »

This is not a concern.

With combined methods like the Nuvaring, you have a 12 hour grace period before it's late, and that includes after the placebo week. So, no need to concern yourself about minutes, ever: it's hours and days you just need to be concerned with.

Perfect use rates -- all effectiveness rates -- are figured for one full year of use. Very few people with hormonal methods, of any type, are going to go a full year without any mistakes whatsoever, so I generally encourage people to figure that they probably will have the typical use effectiveness for combined hormonal methods, which is 91% in one year.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Cupkate13
not a newbie

Thanks so much. Should I remove it at 10:36 pm instead of 10:15 from now on? :)
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Like I said, a 21 minute difference isn't an issue. So long as you take it around the same time of day (morning, afternoon, evening), it really is all good, and you do even have a bigger window than that (that 12 hour grace period).

So, I'd just aim to pick a time that seems most likely to work for you over time and go with that.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Cupkate13
not a newbie

Perfect. Thank you so much! I hope you have a great day.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Happy to help! :) You too.
Cupkate13
not a newbie

I have one more question-- hopefully it's okay to double post. I've always used condoms with my previous partners, but now I'm in a long term monogamous relationship so after a lot of discussion we've decided to ditch the condoms so the ring is our only source of protection. If he always pulls out what's the efficiency typical use/perfect use for both methods? Thank you!
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

And I take it you both have had or are getting -- before you ditch them -- a fresh round of STI testing? If not, that's advised in any relationship, of any length, before going without barriers.

You can look up the estimated efficacy of any two combined methods in this handy chart we have of them right here: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method. :D
Cupkate13
not a newbie

Were both good on that end-- but thank you for the reminder. :) And thank you for the link.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Sure thing! :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic