Birth control and brown discharge

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
ilovemattyhealy
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My ability to make people happy. :)
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Birth control and brown discharge

Unread post by ilovemattyhealy »

Hi, I'm on birth control for period cramps and I got my period last on June 17-20. It was regular. This month I got it on the 19-21 (aka today) and it was only brown discharge for 3 days!!! I'm very worried and while I'm not sexually active I do participate in sexual foreplay with my boyfriend. Does brown discharge count as a period?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth control and brown discharge

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi ilovemattyhealy,

It's possible that the discharge you experienced was your period, or it was a signal that your period is about to come. Or, it may just be spotting, which can be a side effect of the pill. But, there's not really a way for us to know for sure.
And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.
ilovemattyhealy
not a newbie

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you very much for answering! You don't think that it could be pregnancy from foreplay right? I know you guys always tell your readers it's impossible, but for worrywarts like me, it's nearly impossible not to panic still!
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome! If you've read the stuff on the site about what does and does not pose a risk, then my guess is you already know the answer to this question :)
If you finding that you still have anxiety attached to being pregnant even when you engage in activities that don't have a risk, that's a sign that it's time to scale back to a level of sex where you feel comfortable with any risks that are involved.
And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.
ilovemattyhealy
not a newbie

Thank you again! Maybe that's a good idea. For some reason I feel like sperm can just fly from his pants into my vagina and make me pregnant. LOL :)
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

If you need some suggestions, check out this piece :)
Whoa, There! How to Slow Down When You're Moving Too Fast
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic