Tampon insertion: Multiple times, constant failure & anxiety

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
etudexc
not a newbie

Tampon insertion: Multiple times, constant failure & anxiety

Unread post by etudexc »

Every time I try to put a tampon in, the applicator goes in smoothly, but the plunger always bothers me. No matter how many times I try, I'm always met with this sort of resistance that makes it hard for me to hold the applicator at the base of my vagina. It's like I push the plunger and some resistance inside me pushes against the applicator and tries to force it out or something. Is this normal or am I doing it wrong? Again, the applicator goes in just fine, so I must be angling it correctly, right? Is there something with my body that's causing this? In addition, I'm always able to feel it inside when I "successfully" insert it. It doesn't hurt, but is it normal for me to be constantly aware of it inside me?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Tampon insertion: Multiple times, constant failure & anx

Unread post by Heather »

Have you tried using the kind without an applicator? Those tend to be a lot more friendly to a learning curve, since you can feel, with your fingers, what you're doing with the tampon directly.

(Extra bonus: while all disposable menstrual products create a tremendous amount of environmental waste, when you don't use the kind with the applicator, you do cut that waste in half.)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Sunshine
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I have a quote for every situation
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bi

Re: Tampon insertion: Multiple times, constant failure & anx

Unread post by Sunshine »

Hello,

just in case this is reassuring for you: It took me two years to get comfortable with tampons and in the beginning, I was convinced I'd never be able to get one in. My body, it turned out, is perfectly average - I just had to get to know it. The angle turned out to be different than I had imagined, for example. Also, if I am still able to feel a tampon inside me, it usually means I haven't put it far enough in.

I can only second Heather's advice to try going without the applicator. Also try the smallest size you can lay your hands on and maybe check out a kind with an extra-smooth surface.

If you remain concerned that there may be something unusual about your anatomy, maybe a visit to the gynecologist might help? A checkup is never a bad thing, I think, and in my experience, it's very reassuring to have a professional look at you and tell you there is either nothing wrong or explain what exactly the problem is and what you could do about it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic