Trusting the pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
manfamain
not a newbie

Trusting the pill

Unread post by manfamain »

Hey scarleteen,

I've been on the combined pill for over 6 months now and I love it. However I keep worrying about its effectiveness. I've read over all of your articles about effectiveness and combining contraceptives to boost the effectiveness even further. But recently I've been feeling sick, my boobs have been sore and various other symptoms and I can't help but worry that the pill has failed somehow, even though I haven't missed a single pill.. Is there anything I can do to put my mind at rest?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Trusting the pill

Unread post by Mo »

I know you mentioned reading a bunch of our articles, but if you haven't seen this one yet, I think it speaks most directly to your question: Have a Little Faith in BC
We do recommend that folks taking birth control pills back up with condoms, especially if they find themselves worrying about pregnancy often. If you find that using condoms (or another backup method) doesn't leave you feeling any less stressed out about pregnancy, it may be a good idea to hold off on kinds of sex that carry a pregnancy risk for a bit, while you try and get to the bottom of those worries. We can't know the best way for you to feel confident in your birth control choices but sometimes we find that persistent pregnancy fears point to an issue in a relationship or circumstances that's causing stress. You may also want to give this article a read to see if any of it resonates with you: You're Not Pregnant. Why Do You think You Are?
manfamain
not a newbie

Thank you!

While I'm on the subject of pills, recently I went abroad and forgot my pills. I borrowed a packet off a friend and then borrowed 9 pills to do me the rest of the trip. I've now finished another full pack now I'm at home, but should I continue taking another 12 pills so that technically I've taken 3 packs? Or am I okay to just stop for my week off now? After a full pack but technically 2 packs and 9 pills after my last break
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I'm a bit confused: are you saying you have or have not, for this cycle, yet taken a full pack of active pills?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
manfamain
not a newbie

I've taken a full pack of active pills, then took about 9 active pills from someone else, before coming home and taking another full pack of pills. So since my last withdrawal bleed I guess I've have 2 packs + 9, but I've just finished a whole 2nd pack, if that makes sense?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Still not quite sure I get it, so let's try this: If the LAST pack you took was all the active pill, then it's okay to take your break.

If you did NOT take a full pack of active pills yet, you'll want to hold off for the seven-day break until you have.

That make sense and fit with your scenario?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
manfamain
not a newbie

I think that makes sense. So even though I took a few active pills earlier in my cycle, now I've just finished a full pack I shouldn't take anymore? Regardless of not finishing a full pack before starting another?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

I'm still feeling very confused, I'm afraid.

What we want to look at is your last pack: packs before this last one aren't a factor. Have you taken all the active pills in the current pack you are using?
manfamain
not a newbie

Yes I have! Should I just stop now?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

So, if you finished that pack and it is time for your placebo break, then yep, it's time for your placebo break. :)
manfamain
not a newbie

Okay, thank you! :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic