Crazy Heavy Periods! Please Help!

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Iheartdoggies
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Crazy Heavy Periods! Please Help!

Unread post by Iheartdoggies »

Hey Scarleteen!

So I'm 18, weigh 118 lbs, and I've been on TriNessa for 4ish years due to a hormonal imbalance. I love being on the pill, as it has regulated my periods, cleared my skin a bit, and provides protection. The only downfall is that my periods are crazy heavy. Sorry if this is TMI: I have to use super tampons or super ultra, and usually bleed through those and a pad before the "8 hours" is up for my tampon, and I have to change it. I get bad cramps and back pain while on my period. I always thought the pill would help lighten my periods.

This said, are there any alternative birth control methods that will ease my period?

Thank you guys so much!!!!
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Crazy Heavy Periods! Please Help!

Unread post by Karyn »

The pill does result in lighter periods for some people, but not all. There are methods - the implant, Mirena (hormonal) IUD, and Depo (the shot) - that often result in much lighter bleeding or periods stopping altogether, but since you're not just taking the pill for contraception, you'll want to talk to your doctor to make sure that switching methods is okay for you to do health-wise, and what they'd recommend. For an idea of what methods are available, though, have a look at this: Birth Control Bingo!

Until you can check in with your doctor and talk about possible alternatives, there might be some things you can do to help with your cramps at least. Check it out: Stamp Out Cramps!
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Iheartdoggies
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Re: Crazy Heavy Periods! Please Help!

Unread post by Iheartdoggies »

Okay! Thank you!!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic