Question about Anatomy

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Shiloh2345
not a newbie

Question about Anatomy

Unread post by Shiloh2345 »

I was just wondering if the vagina is part of the vulva. I've read many articles on here and most of them never mention the vagina they always say vulva so I'm just wondering if it is the case that when saying the vulva that the vagina is included in that.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Question about Anatomy

Unread post by Karyn »

The vulva and the vagina are two different things. The vulva is the external part, that includes the inner and outer labia and clitoris, and the vagina is the internal canal that connects the outside of the body to the uterus. So, when we say vulva, we do not include vagina in that: we're talking specifically about the external part of the genitals.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

Also, Shiloh, have you seen this article? Innies & Outies: The Vagina, Clitoris, Uterus and More That explains in more detail, and has diagrams to show which names belong with which bit :)
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Shiloh2345
not a newbie

I was only asking cuz I wanted to make sure the vagina and vaginal opening were included in this "Just so it is all in one easy place, if you are worried about pregnancy from any of the following, or any similar, scenarios, please know and accept that in reality, pregnancies absolutely, positively, cannot occur in these ways:
- By touching a sink, toilet, doorknob, piece of clothing or any other object which may or may not have or have had semen on it. Yep, even if you or someone else touched their vulva directly after." When it says vulva at the end is it just the external part or would touching your vagina and vaginal opening be included too?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

I didn't write that, but I think it this case Heather would likely agree that yes, the vaginal opening and vagina would be included in that. Because in that scenario, whether you were touching your vulva or putting fingers into your vagina, pregnancy isn't an issue.
Shiloh2345
not a newbie

Okay thank you I wanted to follow the rules and read the article and not ask but I wasn't sure if it was included, I had asked Mo on the live chat about this because I was worried about touching myself and accidentally having semen on my hands somehow and Mo said no risk but I never specified with the vagina and I wanted to make sure and ask to specify since on the live chat I only said "touching myself" when what I was actually doing was vaginal penetration with my fingers
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

It's always okay to ask us to clarify information, if you're not sure about something in an article.

Are you feeling like you understand all of this better now?
Shiloh2345
not a newbie

Yes now that I know that actually penetrating your vagina with your fingers after possibly having contact with semen from touching objects like doorknobs and sinks etc is totally no risk of pregnancy just like with the vulva I feel much better :)

Per understanding is it the case where, for the articles and risks, if something says it's no risk for a certain part of the genitals it's no risk for all the genitals if that makes sense, because to me if it's not a risk to touch the vagina it wouldn't be a risk to touch the vulva and if it's not a risk to touch the vulva it wouldn't be a risk to touch the vagina, that's the only types of things I get confused on, like which parts of the genitals things are risks/not risks for.
Onionpie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Absolutely Everything
Sexual identity: fluid

Unread post by Onionpie »

Really, because the external vulva is SO close to the vagina itself, when it comes to risk levels they are pretty much one and the same, yes -- so if something is a risk when done inside the vagina, it is also going to be a risk when done to the vulva. And if something is a risk when done to the vulva, it most certainly will also be a risk if done directly inside the vagina. So it's pretty safe to assume that if something is a risk when involving one of those two things, it is also a risk when involving the other. Does that make sense?
Shiloh2345
not a newbie

so it would be the same for the reverse-meaning if something *isnt* a risk for the vulva it wouldnt be a risk for the vagina?

Thanks so much!- i just get confused when some answers/articles have only on part of the genitals listed and not the one im concerned about :P

But really i guess the difference doesnt really matter and i shouldnt be making a big deal about it since Karyn already helped me when telling me that with the scenario i quoted previously fingering the vagina would still not cause pregnancy.
Onionpie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Absolutely Everything
Sexual identity: fluid

Unread post by Onionpie »

Yes, that would be safe to assume if it isn't specified -- again because they're both just so close, the risk levels aren't significantly different at all. Glad I could help :)
Shiloh2345
not a newbie

Is everything in this post still true? http://m.scarleteen.com/article/advice/ ... _handshake I'm asking because it was last updated in 2012. And also when the articles in "this is your pregnancy scare answer" talk about touching guys hands that may have ejacualate on them is it saying that that's no risk even if you touch your vagina right after?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

That post is still accurate, yes. And you're right on about what it's saying: regardless of whether a guy's hand has semen on it or not, touching it and then touching yourself is not a pregnancy risk.

You're expressing a lot of concern about pregnancy risks from things that just do not pose a risk of pregnancy at all. Do you feel like the information we're giving you is helping with that?
Shiloh2345
not a newbie

Yes, I just let my mind get the best of me, I had some scares with my last boyfriend and now that we have been broken up for 2 or more months I have been fine until recently when I all I seem to think about is whether I have messed up and done something to put myself at risk, I even go so far as to forget or not if I have been with someone even though if I had sexual encounters with someone I would have definitely remembered, I guess it's my mind playing tricks on me :(
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

Have you considered checking in with a counselor or therapist about your anxiety? This level of worry obviously isn't fun, and it sounds like it's really interfering with your day to day life recently.
Shiloh2345
not a newbie

I'm too scared and embarrassed to talk to anyone in person :(
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

It can be scary talking to someone in person about anxiety, but mental healthcare providers, just like any other healthcare professionals, are just that, professionals. It's their job to help you, to make you feel comfortable talking about things that are scary or embarrassing. You wouldn't even need to say what you're anxious about to start off with, if you're not okay doing that; you can just say that you've been having anxiety and you would like some help dealing with it.

We can give you all the information in the world about how pregnancy does and does not happen, but we aren't mental healthcare professionals, and we don't have the skills to help you with anxiety when information on its own isn't enough.
Shiloh2345
not a newbie

Yeah I guess I need to do that because even just now I got an itch so I scratched my vagina through my panties and now I'm freaking out again even though I'm sure it's even double no risk because there was a clothing barrier I just wish I could stop worrying :(
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

Okay. If you like, we can help you figure out what sort of help might be available in your area. Or, if you have a general physician, or another healthcare provider you see regularly, they're a very good place to start as well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic