Combination Pills ineffective for 7 days--Plan B?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
etudexc
not a newbie

Combination Pills ineffective for 7 days--Plan B?

Unread post by etudexc »

Hi,

I just started taking combination pills (Lutera) today, and I was told that this would not be effective for 7 days so I should rely on other forms of birth control such as condoms. However, my doctor also gave me Plan B. I was wondering if it would be detrimental to my body in any way to take Plan B if the condom breaks/improper use occurs? Is Plan B safe and effective during the first 7 days when my pill is technically ineffective? Some forums online say that Plan B is unnecessary and could severely mess up your hormones if you're taking it while on BC, but because I'm still in the 7 day ineffective period, does the same consequences apply?

Thanks
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Combination Pills ineffective for 7 days--Plan B?

Unread post by Karyn »

There's no harm in taking Plan B while also taking the pill. It's not going to "severely mess up your hormones" if you take it; it can throw your cycle out of whack for a bit, and it isn't necessary if you've been using the pill for a while (just because the pill taken properly is more effective) but it's perfectly fine to use with any hormonal birth control. If your doctor didn't think it was safe for you to use, they wouldn't have given it to you.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic