how to say your not interested

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
CButcher95
not a newbie
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

how to say your not interested

Unread post by CButcher95 »

I’m 20 and getting ready to transfer to university hopefully in the spring. There is this guy in my college English class that seems like he wants to be more than friends. On the first day that I met him after class he asked to hang out (which seemed totally innocent and fine) but the type of questions he was asking: (do you like kids, how many friends do you have, do you have a boyfriend; and when i said I’m single and happy he said he was to) All these questions seem like more than the usual friend getting to know you questions. To be honest I have zero relationship experience because i’m not into having a random fling. Sadly that also means I have no experience for fielding guys. How do I put someone down nicely and let them know I’m not interested without seeming presumptuous or rude.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: how to say your not interested

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi CButcher95,

Okay, so there are a few different ways to approach this. One is to treat him as a friend, and continue to do so, unless he explicitly asks you out. If he's interested in you romantically, it's kind of on him to make that known, rather than for you to try and divine. If he has been, or does get, more explicit (or his attention is starting to make you uncomfortable), your best bet is to be direct. So, something along the lines of "look, just so you know, I am not interested in a relationship other than friends with you. Like I've said before, I'm single and happy with that."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic