Oral Chlamydia Question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
rusty1234

Oral Chlamydia Question

Unread post by rusty1234 »

So about 3 weeks ago, I had a sexual partner to whom I gave a blowjob to (without a condom). Nothing else happened other than me giving him oral sex. A few days later he said that he thought he might have std and so he got tested, a week later I found out he tested positive for Chlamydia. From what I understand it's very rare to contract, or infect Chlamydia orally, but I went into a clinic to get tested anyway. I explained this story to the nurses at the clinic and they had me take a urine test for Chlamydia. First question: if I have Chlamydia orally it would not show up on a urine test, right? I'm not exhibiting any symptoms which is why I think she gave me just a standard urine test. But they also didn't even take a look in my mouth. I also know that oftentimes Chlamydia doesn't show any symptoms. I'm still waiting on the results from the urine test, but even if that comes back negative, how can I be sure I'm Chlamydia free orally?? I would really like the peace of mind. Even though I know I should be using a condom even with oral sex, I would like to know I can't pass it on to a future partner before having any kind of sex again.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Oral Chlamydia Question

Unread post by Karyn »

A urine test wouldn't show whether or not you had chlamydia orally, no. You're right that it's rare to get oral chlamydia, but I can certainly understand you wanting the peace of mind considering that this person has tested positive, and the nurses at the clinic should have done a swab of your throat.

Where did you go to get tested? If it wasn't at a sexual health clinic specifically, you might want to see if there's one in your area and go there instead; if you want to toss us your zip code we can have a look to see what might be nearby.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
rusty1234

Re: Oral Chlamydia Question

Unread post by rusty1234 »

It was a sexual health clinic. I found it strange they didn't do a throat swab, but I guess I also should have spoken up. I think I may call them to see about the possibility of a throat swab and if that doesn't work out, I know another clinic in my area I can try. Thanks for answering and being so helpful!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic