Baby fever?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Abc123ALY321cbA
Sexual identity: Pansexual

Baby fever?

Unread post by Abc123ALY321cbA »

So, as of the last couple of months, I have been experiencing severe baby fever. Like every night I dream about having my own baby, and holding it in my arms and it's driving me crazy. I'm 18, engaged, and we could probably support a baby, I just don't know how to feel about it. I've had siblings, taken better care of them than my mom, I have great motherly instincts, I'm just not sure why this is coming on so suddenly, and I don't know how to handle it. I don't know that I want a baby, but everytime it happens, for a minute, I really really do. Is there any way to stop these feelings, or at least calm them? I know it's not really a health related question, but every time I have a dream, it is so real and I wake up and long for a baby that is not here.. it's hitting me emotionally more than physically. Thanks for any help or support!
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Baby fever?

Unread post by Mo »

I don't know that you can really stop those feelings; it's really common for many people to have periods of their lives where they are very interested in babies and the idea of parenting.

In terms of calming them, or redirecting them in a less stressful way, you might find it helpful to seek out some opportunities to spend time with other people's babies when you're having those feelings. Do you have friends or family members with newborns or infants who might welcome some time to get some personal things done while you provide childcare? Are there any volunteer positions or career opportunities you can investigate that involve spending time around and taking care of babies?
Abc123ALY321cbA
Sexual identity: Pansexual

Unread post by Abc123ALY321cbA »

Not really, I recently moved, so I live 4 hours from any family or friends, I could look into babysitting in my area, but I hardly know anyone around here.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I think the question is how much this is bothering you and feels like something you truly can't cope with.

You say it's driving you crazy, but are you using that as a figure of speech to say it's annoying you, or are you saying you are experiencing extreme emotional distress about this to the point that it is feeling like a mental health issue you need help with?

Usually, when people feel a want for something non-essential (as in, not food, water or shelter) they know isn't right for them, or aren't sure yet if it is or not, they can deal, and it's not a problem, whether that thing is a baby, sex, a car, a house, a certain job, fame, a partner who is long-distance right now, whatever. It might be annoying or sad, but it won't usually literally drive someone crazy or feel like something a person can't cope with.

Other times, a strong want for something someone can't have, or could, but knows isn't right, isn't something they feel they can cope with, and is something that becomes a mental health issue that interferes with their ability to live and enjoy their lives.

Figuring out where you're really at with that is pretty essential to figuring out what kind of help you may or may not need.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic