Birth Control

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
Megladon72

Birth Control

Unread post by Megladon72 »

I'm sorry if I'm creating this topic in the wrong section... Anyways, my boyfriend and I have been together for a year now, we are absolute best friends and are both virgins and we both feel ready for sex. More than anything contraceptives are #1! My mom and I are pretty close But she gets uncomfortable talking about sex with me which makes me even more uncomfortable. I know I don't want to take any hormonal birth control, but I want to be as safe as possible. From my research I think I want to use the Today Sponge and my boyfriend will wear a condom. Is there anything else we could add or do to make it that much safer ??
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Birth Control

Unread post by Heather »

Combining any two reliable methods, like these two, and using them consistently and correctly is what'll get you about as close to 100% as it gets.

So, unless you want to make one of those methods one that's more effective, like an IUD or a hormonal method, or just skip intercourse, this is all good. Just make a point of always using both and always using both properly. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Re: Birth Control

Unread post by Amanda »

Hi Megladon,

Here is an article about the efficacy rates of combining methods: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method As you can see if you scroll down, sponge + condom is 97.7-98% effective, (which means that for every 100 people using this method in a given year, around 2 will become pregnant) which is pretty darn good on its own. The surest way to take that down further, if that's what you want, is to add in a hormonal method. Is there any particular reason you aren't so keen on them?

Here's out birth control bingo feature, which you can use to further explore your options: Birth Control Bingo!
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic