Super long period on birth control?!

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
vbaudelaire
Awesomeness Quotient: nothing
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Super long period on birth control?!

Unread post by vbaudelaire »

Hi! I started taking birth control (Alysena 28) about a month and a half ago. I was supposed to have a period around February 22nd, but I never got it. Then around March 6 I started having some light spotting/bleeding, I wasn't worried though. However I started heavily bleeding soon afterwards, and it hasn't stopped since. It's been about two and a half weeks now. I stopped taking the BC around the 2nd week of bleeding (I was already having a lot of problems with it and this was the final straw), but I'm really worried and don't know what to do about this. It's really frustrating because it keeps getting light enough for me to think it's going to go away, then it just comes back full throttle and super heavy. What can I do at this point? Has this happened to anybody before? When can I expect this to stop / what is the longest it can biologically go on for? :cry:
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Super long period on birth control?!

Unread post by Karyn »

Starting birth control (and stopping it!) can cause some irregular bleeding, but since this has been going on for a few weeks now it wouldn't hurt to check in with your doctor. It could just be that your body is a bit out of whack because of the changes in hormone levels and this will stop eventually, but it never hurts to make sure. (I'm not sure how heavy your bleeding is now, but if it ever gets heavy enough that you're soaking through a super tampon or pad in under an hour, or if you have cramps/pain that aren't relieved by over the counter pain relievers, then it's a good idea to seek medical care as soon as you can.)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic