changes in withdrawal bleed

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
overthinking97
not a newbie
Primary language: English

changes in withdrawal bleed

Unread post by overthinking97 »

I have been on Microgynon 30 for 2 years now to help with painful periods, however in February I started having sex and therefore the pill became about contraception as well! I have always had a withdrawal bleed when I've taken my placebo week, normally lasting from Wednesday/Thursday to Tuesday or the next week, however since around april/may they have been getting slightly shorter, lasting from Wednesday to Saturday/Sunday. Is this normal when on the pill for a while or what could be the cause? Also, sorry for the tmi, but since around September they my withdrawal bleed has been a thick brownieh colour rather than the red colour it normally is! I put this down to the fact I had taken my pill straight from 29th June - 20th September without a break, but could there be another cause?
Thank you for your help!
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: changes in withdrawal bleed

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello there, overthinking.

Bodies are not machines and they won't always react the same way. Just because your body is used to do something it doesn't mean it will always do it, as well as if it never have done something is not that uncommon to one day do something different.

One common side effect of hormonal contraceptives is to sometimes have an impact on your cycle. There's people who will experience a lighter period over time and there's people who won't. There's even people who will stop having withdrawal bleedings at all. So, no need to worry much about it but, if it bothers you too much you can always check in with your healthcare provider in person just to make sure everything is okay, if that would make you feel better. :)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: changes in withdrawal bleed

Unread post by Heather »

It's normal for periods, period, to chill out with heaviness, length and cramps as people get out of their teens. It's also common for the pill to do that, as well.

The color and texture of periods also often shifts a good deal over time and can vary a lot.

Not seeing any cause for concern here! :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic