I turned my boyfriend down. Did I do the right thing?

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
Volleygirl22
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Can spike a volleyball, but am only 4'9"
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Les

I turned my boyfriend down. Did I do the right thing?

Unread post by Volleygirl22 »

This might be in the wrong forum. If so, sorry about that. It could probably fit into a few others.

My boyfriend's parents are going through a divorce and he's taking it pretty hard. He came over a little while ago. We started talking, and ended up kissing. We got really close to sex, but I turned him down. I told him I wouldn't feel right doing that, since he's upset, and I'd feel like I'd be taking advantage of him. He said okay, but still seems bummed about it. Did I do the right thing? Is there something else I could to to make it up to him? I feel bad about it :/

Also, I offered to let him spend the night. I told him he could have my bed, and that if he wants to be alone, I can take the couch. But he said he'd rather have me with him.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: I turned my boyfriend down. Did I do the right thing?

Unread post by Heather »

I think you handled that incredibly and did EXACTLY the right things here. Truly, well done. There's nothing to feel bad about: you made what you felt was the best choice to care for your partner. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Volleygirl22
not a newbie

Thank you. I just feel bad because I feel like turning him down, bummed him out even more. I'm going to stand by what I said, and wait until I'm sure he's doing better, but if I had taken the other way, and done it, is it possible it would've made him feel better or just done nothing at all? Just curious
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Volleygirl,

That's a tricky thing for us to say. But, if I had to guess, it would not have had much of an effect, because the things making him upset are big things that can't be fixed by sex (honestly, very few things can be fixed by sex). So, I'm with Heather in that you made the right call for both you and him.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

You know, when you two do have sex (whatever kind you're talking about here), when neither of you is in distress and upset, it's going to be likely to go much better, and be a much better experience for you both.

It's okay to feel disappointed about things: that's part of life, and we'll all get through that. Disappointment just isn't that big of a deal. On the other hand, having a sexual first time when one person feels conflicted and the other is in distress about something else? That sounds like a pretty crap first time experience to me. Again, I think how you handled this was amazing, and shows an awful lot of emotional maturity, more than a lot of people have at any age, let alone in their teens. When I read your first post here, I was really impressed (so much that I had to run out to my partner and a friend of mine visiting us and talk about how impressive you were).
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Volleygirl22
not a newbie

Thank you. I do want to do something to make it up to him when he's feeling better. It doesn't necessarily need to be sex, but is there anything I could do?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

I think just being caring and supportive, in general (which it sounds like you are already) is going to be just fine here. Certainly, you could ask him if there's a certain kind of support he could use right now, or think of something special y'all can do together, but I don't know that framing this as "making it up to him" is the best approach here. Like Heather said above, disappointment is just part of life sometimes - you didn't do anything wrong by saying you didn't want to have sex in that moment, so there isn't a mistake you need to apologize for; it's not on you to manage his disappointment for him. Does that make sense?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic