Missed pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Christinagb
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Missed pill

Unread post by Christinagb »

I just recently started college as a freshman so I decided to take birth control since my boyfriend and I are going to the same college. I've been taking birth control for about 5 months now (ever since July). I have 21 active pills and 7 inactive pills. I've NEVER missed an active pill. Just recently, on Friday Nov. 6, 2015 I missed one pill (the 20th active pill) and took it the next day after 12 hours which was around 4pm on Saturday. Saturday night/Sunday morning my boyfriend and I (we've been dating for 2 years and 2 months) decided to have unprotected sex. He did not ejaculate inside me, we used the "pull out method". I looked on my period calendar for that day and it said that I had a low pregnancy chance. I'm wondering if there is any chance of me getting pregnant. I'm supposed to be starting my period sometime this week. I'm currently as of today on my third inactive pill.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Missed pill

Unread post by Heather »

So, no app can tell you when you are or aren't more fertile when you use the pill. In fact, if an app doesn't ask if you are or aren't, you can know it isn't something that can predict ovulation because the pill suppresses ovulation and makes it so you no longer have a normal fertility cycle in the first place. Only one or two of those apps actually asks for the information needed to do a good job accurately predicting that: almost all of them that say they can do that can't.

So. You took your pill late but made it up. You didn't use a condom, but that's more about STI risks than anything else, but you did back up with withdrawal. So, at worst, you've got a typical use rate for the pill (that's around 91% in one year of use), and then a perfect use rate for withdrawal, assuming that was used properly, which is estimated to be about 96% effective in a year. Combine them and you can see that the risk of pregnancy here was very, very low.

But just FYI, condoms are a less goofproof and more effective backup method, so I'd encourage you to consider always using them. Not only do they give protection against infections nothing else can, when things like this happen, they'll likely leave you a lot less worried.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Christinagb
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Christinagb »

I'm not worried about STIs. He hasn't been with anyone but me so I was his first. I recently got tested and everything came back normal. I knew I didn't have anything to worry about but it never hurts to double check. I was more worried about being pregnant. It was a stupid mistake we made at the current moment.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

We're only human, it happens. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic