Late with 5th pill in pack

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
bryann9182
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: eyes
Primary language: english
Pronouns: him
Sexual identity: straight

Late with 5th pill in pack

Unread post by bryann9182 »

My girlfriend has been on Lutera combo pills for a little over 1 year with excellent use

This past week she took her 5th pill in the pack (Thursday) late. She usually takes her pills at 10pm, but fell asleep and forgot to take it until Friday morning, so she doubled up that day. In total, it was about 7 or 8 hours past her Thursday pill time when she realized. All pills prior were taken on time, and she has taken all her pills since then on time as well.

Is she at a high risk for pregnancy here? We do not use any other method of contraception, and did not use any other method during that week. Is there any need for EC?
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Re: Late with 5th pill in pack

Unread post by Ashleah »

Hi Bryann,

For the combination pill there is a 12 hr grace period before the pill is considered late and 24 hrs before it is considered missed. So if she took her pill within that window of time then the effectiveness is not likely compromised much and EC would not offer additional protection.

I would recommend adding another form of BC to the mix if you all want to maximize protection against pregnancy. Condoms are a great option bc they are easy to use, you can see them doing their job, and they protect against STIs.
bryann9182
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: eyes
Pronouns: him
Sexual identity: straight

Unread post by bryann9182 »

Pretty much what I figured. Was just a bit concerned due to it being early in the pack
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

What I'd suggest is that you pout your focus on what YOU can do to reduce the risk of pregnancy, rather than making yourself involved like this with what your partner does that she can do. So, either using condoms or withdrawal, two methods someone with a penis can use for themselves, would be the way to go with that. That way, you both share responsibility, and each person just manages themselves when it comes to reducing risks. Make sense? :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic