Broken Condom

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
murphy18

Broken Condom

Unread post by murphy18 »

I was participating in vaginal intercourse. The condom broke, and I am not on any alternative birth control. We realized immediately and promptly stopped having sex, he did not ejaculate inside of me. I took EC at latest an hour after. I know I need to wait until a missed period or 2-3 weeks to take a pregnancy test, but how worried should I be about a possible pregnancy?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Broken Condom

Unread post by Heather »

There's never a good answer to that, because worrying doesn't do anything but create stress. So, ideally, you won't be worried at all, as that doesn't do anything or benefit you in any way.

You did just the right thing here getting and taking EC so fast, so pregnancy is no more of a statistical risk than it would have been had the condom NOT broken. It's possible exposure to STIs that's the larger issue here, so you two will just want to make sure that if you're not both current with your testing, you do that in the next month or so.

Condoms very rarely break when stored and used properly, so if you want to troubleshoot what happened here to make it less likely next time, I'm happy to do that with you. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic