4 periods a year

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
JosieM
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I won't give up!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Her
Sexual identity: Asexual/Aromantic

4 periods a year

Unread post by JosieM »

Dear Scarleteen

I just have a quick question which I have been wondering about. I got my first period just before my 15th birthday (I'm 19 now) and it has never regulated (like its REALLY irregular) I usually get four-five periods a year (but have been anywhere from 6(only happened once) to about 12-14 weeks apart (most of the time)I'm a virgin and have never taken anything that can affect cycles. I'm a full time ballet dancer with a underweight BMI of about 18 if that has anything to do with it? Is this something I should get more tests for? I've been to doctors and they usually just say to put on weight...which I can't because I'm a ballet dancer haha
Is this okay to be like this? My periods are pretty light (5 days) and I don't get PMS or bad cramps really....
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: 4 periods a year

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Josie,

The thing is, while a low weight can affect your cycle, this question really is one for a healthcare provider. It sounds like you've talked to some and they've been less than helpful. In those conversations, have you asked them what your options are other than weight gain?

I also want to mention (as a former ballet dancer myself) that while there's often a ton of pressure to remain very thin, it's just as important to refuel your body after all the energy that dancing takes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic